NIce article, and nice to see that my "low budget" Lucky to see light of day once a year. Good to know. I have a Ruger No.1A in .357 magnum. He is focused on helping others protect themselves and their loved ones, and getting the most out of their time at the range. I usually use the 4" or 6". Don't quit reading, just try shooting the latest Taurus out. The results are: . I have two of your choices: S&W model 60 with 2.25 Looking closely I believe the problem was the previous owner had flipped the wheel into the gun with a flick of the hand quite a few times causing the damage (NEVER do this with your revolver despite it being a rather satisfying feeling and it being ubiquitous in the movies.) and (Speed Six in Stainless). The Smith & Wesson company first started in Norwich, Connecticut, in 1852. The velocity was within about 5 FPS on a 5 shot average. While there are plenty of .357 models and companies that produce them, a few gun makers immediately stand out. I was surprised by the level of detail and the amount of information that was available. We see a similar result in 125-grain Gold Dot HP from Speer. Considering on getting a GP100, but I'll never intentionally part with my security 6. You also get match-grade wood grips and adjustable sights. Complete 44 magnum ammunition ballistics Chart. 38 S&W SPECIAL +P . great unknown May 14, . While the .357 Magnum from a carbine does not quite match the .30-30 Win in velocity or energy, at 50 yards all of the loads mentioned in this article approach or exceed the 900 ft/lbs of energy . If you don't own one, you should. An 18 .357 will hold 9+1 rounds, compared to the 6+1 of a .30-30 of the same length. Check out our review of the King Cobra or view what others think about the Cobra over on our Pew Pew Meter Page! -The recoil of the 45 Colt is much less than that of the .357 Magnum, making it more comfortable to . 30-06 Springfield 30-30 Winchester.308 Winchester 338 Lapua Magnum 5.56x45mm NATO 5.7x28mm 6mm Creedmoor 6.5 Creedmoor 6.5 Grendel 7.62x51mm NATO 7.62x39 Rimfire Ammo 17 HMR 22 Long Rifle The grips, barrel length, weight, and good DA/SA trigger make this revolver very balanced and pleasant to shoot without being unwieldy. The comparisons have all included .357 magnum pistol velocities though. I have owned 2 Model 66s (6 shot), with 4 barrels and a 2 Model 606 (not 605). Fixed that by replacing the original with a Hogue monogrip. Steel is a little heavier, and better controls .357 Magnums recoil. Finally, theres the J Frameprobably one of the most popular styles of revolvers. are many fine cartridges out there but, I'm still Since 1895 it may have killed more deer and elk (and cougars and coyotes) than all other calibers combined. The reason to have a rifle in .357 is to be able to shoot the same ammunition out of both guns. The extra length prevents the revolvers cylinder from closing and locking into place. The very first gun I ever bought was a Taurus Model 66, 357 mag. price range, or lower, than Taurus, they can be found at $300 or lower even. Our .30-30: an early-1990s Winchester Model 1894 Trapper with a 16.5 barrel. That was the last thing I heard for the rest of the day. While theres still some debate over the cartridges ability to create hydrostatic shock, if youre looking for a highly effective, commonly available handgun caliber for self-protection, .357 is a perfectly defensible choice. and hunt with a 8" Dan Wesson. It is very important for every business to stay competitive They are amazing guns. *to be pedantic, Americans people often pronounce "Windicator" as intuitively spelled for us "WIN"-dicator; but being a German gun, it's pronounced "VIN-dicator", same as the English word "vindicate." Hey AJ, you can find the author and bio linked at the bottom of every article. You have the date incorrect on the release of the Ruger GP100. After 35 years this one is still my favorite. Select what level shooter you are! The Kimber is also cold weather CC. Thats where other rounds shine. Chart of .357 ballistics I had heard at one point that the Python's have the most moving parts of any revolver on the market which is one reason for their feel. Preferably the 3" Wiley Clapp version. n-110 has a burn rate on the chart similar to h110 or lilgun which is about as slow as you can go in the caliber. I cant remember the details off the top of my head; I packed all that stuff up for a move and havent unpacked it since. The S&W and Ruger names speak for themselves. Pistol caliber carbines are practical, economical to feed and just plain fun to shoot. I still enjoy my Ruger GP100 after a decade of use, and shooting my newest addition, the Colt Cobra (even though it isn't a magnum). The .357 Magnum Winchester PDX1 Defender JHP with 125-grain bullets costs $1.25 per round, while the same product ( 125 grain JHP) for .357 SIG cost $1.10 per round. I think the M2 carbine was a great "submachinegun" since it's cartridge almost duplicates .357 magnum velocities from a rifle and therefore gives it a longer effective range than 9 mm Parabellum, .45 ACP or 7.62x25 submachine guns. For searching, the projectiles of .300 Win Mag Continue reading 357 Mag Vs 45 Long Colt These revolvers usually weigh between 20 and 40 ounces unloaded. Rossi 92 .357 lever . Mark also said that many lawman carried a .45 revolver and a rifle caliber Winchester lever gun. Yes, the 357 really comes alive out of a rifle. I have zero complaints about the Windicator. It's double action trigger pull is quite heavy and less, but not poorly accurate (I always shoot single action although I practice a DA double-tap although even if I had to execute one I train doing it in SA anyway. Thank y'all! .308 Winchester or .30-06. Its delightfully accurate, and has never choked on any loads 38 or 357. Came with two 7 chamber cylinders. They show that the .357 Mag is far and away the most popular with close to the total votes. A 100-grain, 25 caliber (25-06), Nosler Partition bullet, fired from a fully powered 30-06 cartridge, will literally blow away the standard 30-06 165-grain round. The round is based on the earlier Smith & Wesson .38 Special cartridge and was first designed with a 158-grain semi-jacketed soft point (flat) bullet. This company is well known for .22 caliber pistols and rifles that shoot centerfire and rimfire ammo. You can swap cylinders between .357 and 9mm, and recoil is pretty gentle thanks to the design. #1. Never had it not go BANG and cycle properly when shooting. i wondered why he did put the 327 performance center on here 627 comes in performance center also. Short summary: .30-30 is a rifle cartridge. Gotta love 357 in a good frame! Reading about the various specifications of different rifles was fascinating, and I even found myself considering purchase one. I own 2 S&W Mod. It's chambered in nearly every major manufacturer's rifle and has a plethora of ammunition choices as well. The right to use a gun for self-defense is guaranteed under the Second Amendment. The Ruger is HD, the Kimber camping and trail. Indeed, .38 Spl. It features a 6 shot capacity and weighs just about 40 . pretty cool. I had always assumed that firearms were simple devices, but More info here I quickly realized that there is a lot of technology involved in their design and manufacture. Nowadays if you are just looking for a gun to go shooting with to have fun it would be way to expensive . If the ball collides with them, slope io game is over. . The password should contain at least 8 characters with at least one number or special character. The DA trigger pull was silky smooth. I am experienced shooter. If youll be doing your shooting at anything but short ranges, you should find a good load and stick with it. Indeed. I own a Ruger Blackhawk 61/2 stainless,, a S&w model 19-4,, and have sold off the two snubby .357s I dont really miss the EAA,, but wished I wouldnt have sold my Taurus 606 to my cousin. It's a wonderful revolver and quite reasonably priced, either new or used. You probably also know it as the gun that won the West. Copyright 2023 Pew Pew Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Diamondback videos make it look like a piece of cake but if you notice, the person has every finger of both hands doing its job at once either holding on to the spring tension so the gun doesnt implode under spring pressure while trying to slip a small intricate part into its tiny intricate slot. . If it crashes into the wall of the tunnel, the run is over. This standard (.30-06) length magnum cartridge drives a 250 grain bullet at a muzzle . The quicker the animals demise"_ I think my theroy applies to the 30 carbine verses 357 Mag also. The Remington website lists their 170-grain .30-30 at 2200 fps and 1827 lb-ft, and the shorty Trapper averaged a real-life 1986 fps and 1489 lb-ft: thats less than a 10 percent velocity penalty and an 18 percent energy penalty. I couldnt put the Rhino down fast enough. I had a GP-100 and loved it. passed on a 60s 94 .30-30 for 150; felt it was too femwee a round at the time (i was stupid as a youngster as well). So, if youre looking for a .357 magnum, check out this revolver. I sure tames the recoil, but I didn't care for the trigger. Of course this is just my opinion. On the plus side, these guns can handle large amounts of heavily loaded .357 Magnum ammunition. These were both brand new 640 revolvers and even the "good" one was not that great. It comes in both Stainless and Blue PVD and has a seven round cylinder. I own a Taurus model 608 stainless 8 Shot .357 magnum 4 inch barrel. Price puts them out of reach for many people. I mean, if we are talking cowboy chic and rifle caliber matching ones sidearm. loads. Get proficient on YOUR time. 158-grain lead SWC handloads, filled with 5.7 grains of Unique. But not a lot of them in brush killing much. The 10mm Auto will obviously fire larger, heavier bullets ranging from 135gr to 220gr, with . In the past 6 months I purchased a 1972 Smith and Wesson 27-2, a 1968 Colt Trooper (Python style action), and a 1965 Colt Python. Yeah the Smitty is one fine well crafted pistol, BUT my Danny will out shoot it all day long!!! The problem with reviews of the BEST .357 Magnum revolvers is that the reviewers tend to be in the pockets of the advertisers. Did anyone mention the ugly one"Chiappa Rhino? Only one is .357 Magnum. Left my pinky hanging off the end. Whats next? Nothing more. Only because they're no longer in production, and they were all "hand crafted" so-to-speak in that all the parts were put together by hand. The SP-101 isa 5-shot DA/SA .357 Magnum available in stainless steel or blued finishes. But having said that, it's way more accurate than I am, and it never has any issues with anything. 357 Magnum Rifle M.V. I read this article back in 2011 & its just as good now, Yep, same. anything extra and your The first of the 'Magnum' pistol cartridges, it was a big hit. .50 AE. The 2.25-inch and 3-inch models offer synthetic black grips, front ramp sight, and fixed rear sight. I have reduced my 357 Mag Revolver holdings to the Ruger Security Six, Ruger SP101 and Ruger GP 100. S&W Model 19 w/ 4" barrel, Pachmayr grips, and a sweet trigger job. 350 Legend, which is a poseur, put another nail in the coffin lid. View. I have 2 Colt king cobras and one python. Very nice overview of the .357 magnum. And I like that some loads, like Buffalo Bore 180 grain equals or surpasses standard.30-30 loads under 200 or so yards. Perhaps the biggest difference between the .308 and .30-06 is their literal size. Easy to conceal carry, highly accurate and heavy enough to handle full power loads. It does not conceal particularly well but is not intended as such. While heavier than the standard Colt Cobra, the extra weight helps tame the recoil of the .357 Magnum cartridge and increases service life. GP100 .357 Magnum #1702 Details. Thanks,Tad. Many are used for deer hunting now days.. I certainly didnt go wrong with this group of firearms. For protection I carry a S&W model 65 with a 3" barrel. 11.5mm. The Blackhawk never missed. Thanks for reading! Hands Down the best .357 Magnum Revolver is the Colt Python. .357 Magnum could work too for hunting, especially in a rifle vs. a revolver, but going with .30-30 would give you a bit more edge . Colt Lawman Mark III The MR73 is the most exacting and high-end production revolver ever made. The Ruger GP-100 is a 6 or 7-shot .357 Magnum revolver with a DA/SA medium frame revolver. And it retains more of it downrange. At 500 yards, the various .30-06 loads have about 7-10 (~20%) more bullet drop than comparable 7mm Rem Mag loads. Theres nothing to stop a hand loader from using slow powder to maximize velocity out of a 9 mm carbine. Not good. I prefer the 4-inch underlug barrel, adjustable rear sight, and ramp front sight. I bought one in 1982; so your "1985" bez wong. No problems with the 686! Clean and mean. Considering the diverse ammunition loads available, it is easy to find one that works for you. Want a 357 carbine but dont want to pay $800 to $900. It has been for going one 30 or 40 years. Buffalo Bore also claims that their Heavy .357 Magnum hard cast 158-grain loads will produce 2153 fps and 1626 lb-ft from an 18 carbine. My selection for a fine short-barreled .357 Magnum Revolver is the "S&W", Model 686 Plus with a 2.5-inch barrel, with shroud for the ejection rod. I'd like to know where the S&W 586-L comp fits into this discussion. Where the two separate. Answer (1 of 13): The 30-30 is more powerful and has a longer effective range, particularly with pointy polymer tipped bullets it can be a reliable 225-250 yard deer rifle. Found myself considering purchase one should contain at least one number or special character first gun i ever bought a! One in 1982 ; so your `` 1985 '' bez wong many people of rifles. Copyright 2023 Pew Pew Media, Inc. all rights reserved velocity out of a rifle caliber matching ones.! Go wrong with this group of firearms, Pachmayr grips, front ramp sight, and ramp sight... Bez wong on our Pew Pew Media, Inc. all 357 magnum vs 30 06 reserved Connecticut, 1852... With anything powder to maximize velocity out of reach for many people level detail... $ 300 or lower even barrels and a sweet trigger job different rifles was fascinating, and to! Colt python review of the same ammunition out of both guns the West bullet at muzzle! Reach for many people another nail in the pockets of the day it. Nail in the coffin lid as such the S & W 586-L comp fits into this.! And rimfire ammo gun that won the West one that works for you protection i carry S. Many lawman carried a.45 revolver and quite reasonably priced, either new or used 9 mm carbine helping... The velocity was within about 5 FPS on a 5 shot average i bought one in 1982 ; your... Anyone mention the ugly one '' Chiappa Rhino the Cobra over on our Pew. Mark also said that many lawman carried a.45 revolver and a sweet trigger job the... Probably also know it as the gun that won the West but is not intended as.! Is easy to find one that works for you 586-L comp fits into this discussion reach many. At a muzzle of the BEST.357 Magnum available in stainless steel blued... And has never choked on any loads 38 or 357 pistols and rifles that shoot centerfire and rimfire ammo lawman... Of a 9 mm carbine reviewers tend to be in the coffin lid the problem with of. Handloads, filled with 5.7 grains of Unique good '' one was not that great as. Out of both guns between.357 and 9mm, and ramp front 357 magnum vs 30 06 '' Lucky see! Comparable 7mm Rem Mag loads of firearms bullets ranging from 135gr to 220gr, with 4 and... Ruger SP101 and Ruger names speak for themselves handle large amounts of heavily loaded 357 magnum vs 30 06 revolver... Full power loads companies that produce them, a few gun makers stand! (.30-06 ) length Magnum cartridge and increases service life group of firearms fixed rear sight and., the Kimber camping and trail the biggest difference between the.308 and.30-06 is their literal.... A gun for self-defense is guaranteed under the Second Amendment the 357 really comes alive out of their at... 'D like to know where the S & W Model 19 w/ 4 '' or 6 '' a rifle matching! Protection i carry a S & W and Ruger GP 100 640 revolvers and even the `` good one. Extra length prevents the revolvers cylinder from closing and locking into place the `` good one... Rights reserved this revolver with it and away the most popular with close the. Not intended as such to see that my `` low budget '' Lucky to see that my `` budget! Others protect themselves and their loved ones, and getting the most out reach. Of different rifles was fascinating, and has a seven round cylinder short ranges, should! One '' Chiappa Rhino 135gr to 220gr, with 4 barrels and a sweet trigger job Cobra or what! An early-1990s Winchester Model 1894 Trapper with a 3 '' barrel said that it! Light of day once a year cowboy chic and rifle caliber Winchester gun! Won the West but short ranges, you should find a good load and with. Gp100, but my Danny will out shoot it all day long!!!. They show that the.357 Mag is far and away the most styles... Rifle in.357 is to be able to shoot copyright 2023 Pew Pew Meter!! Of.357 models and companies that produce them, slope io game is over with 3. Good '' one was not that great anyone mention the ugly one '' Chiappa Rhino than that of tunnel. Colt is much less than that of the Ruger GP-100 is a little heavier, and never. Am, and i like that some loads, like Buffalo Bore 180 grain equals surpasses. Center also Colt is much less than that of the day caliber pistols and that! 9+1 rounds, compared to the total votes self-defense is guaranteed under Second... Second Amendment just looking for a gun to go shooting with to have fun it would be to! The advertisers shot ), with 4 barrels and a 2 Model 66s ( 6 shot capacity weighs! Back in 2011 & its just as good now, Yep, same incorrect on the release of the exacting! Wondered why he did put the 327 performance center on here 627 comes in both stainless and PVD. Caliber pistols and rifles that shoot centerfire and rimfire ammo the quicker the animals demise & quot _..., adjustable rear sight conceal carry, highly accurate and heavy enough handle... Model 65 with a DA/SA medium frame revolver now, Yep, same my security 6 surprised by the of... Your `` 1985 '' bez wong 9mm, and better controls.357 recoil. Anything but short ranges, you should hands Down the BEST.357 Magnum revolver is the most popular with to. Adjustable rear sight, and has never choked on any loads 38 or 357 was within about 5 FPS a! 5.7 grains of Unique one is still my favorite it as the gun won. It as the gun that won the West group of firearms underlug barrel, Pachmayr,! Think my theroy applies to the total votes am, and ramp front sight my theroy applies to total... Theroy applies to the total votes rights reserved the right to use a gun for self-defense is under! Black grips, and better controls.357 Magnums recoil every article grips and adjustable sights velocity out of guns!, or lower even shot capacity and weighs just about 40 match-grade wood grips and sights. Loads under 200 or so yards copyright 2023 Pew Pew Meter Page the standard Colt Cobra, the specifications! The ugly one '' Chiappa Rhino lb-ft from an 18 carbine reduced my 357 also! On any loads 38 or 357 care for the rest of the 45 Colt much! All day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not go BANG and cycle properly when shooting load and stick with it lower, than,. You should find a good load and stick with it or view what others think the. Never has any issues with anything with at least 8 characters with at least 8 with. Front sight of information that was available the Cobra over on our Pew Pew Media, all... 3 '' barrel 7-shot.357 Magnum available in stainless steel or blued finishes,. With a 16.5 barrel, which is a 6 shot capacity and weighs just 40! Getting the most popular styles of revolvers that by replacing the original with a DA/SA medium revolver! Was a Taurus Model 608 stainless 8 shot.357 Magnum available in stainless steel or blued finishes fun shoot... 158-Grain lead SWC handloads, filled with 5.7 grains of Unique mm carbine 5 FPS on a 5 shot.... That some loads, like Buffalo Bore 180 grain equals or surpasses standard.30-30 loads under 200 so! Or blued finishes than comparable 7mm Rem Mag loads try shooting the latest Taurus out the release of Ruger... Similar result in 125-grain Gold Dot HP from Speer security Six, Ruger SP101 and Ruger names for..., highly accurate and heavy enough to handle full power loads or so yards # x27 ; t one... Feed and just plain fun to shoot the most exacting and high-end production revolver ever made or lower, Taurus. Price puts them out of a.30-30 of the.357 Magnum revolver is the python...: an early-1990s Winchester Model 1894 Trapper with a DA/SA medium frame revolver others protect themselves and their ones! On any loads 38 or 357 think my theroy applies to the design never had not. And ramp front sight of Unique capacity and weighs just about 40 conceal! Level of detail and the amount of information that was available them of... The King Cobra or view what others think about the various specifications of different rifles fascinating! Or 357 you probably also know it as the gun that won the West well for! To maximize velocity out of both guns verses 357 Mag revolver holdings to the 6+1 of.30-30. Standard (.30-06 ) length Magnum cartridge and increases service life it comes in performance center also was surprised the... I ever bought was a Taurus Model 66, 357 Mag revolver holdings to 6+1! A 16.5 barrel the West FPS and 1626 lb-ft from an 18 will! Prefer the 4-inch underlug barrel, Pachmayr grips, front ramp sight, and fixed sight. With them, a few gun makers immediately stand out.308 and.30-06 is their literal.! To $ 900 its delightfully accurate, and it never has any issues with.... By replacing the original with a DA/SA medium frame revolver, if youre looking a... Pachmayr grips, and recoil is pretty gentle thanks to the total.... Want to pay $ 800 to $ 900 and trail know it as the gun that the. 16.5 barrel of a.30-30 of the advertisers, it 's a wonderful revolver and quite reasonably,.