Coverage of the latest true crime stories and famous cases explained, as well as the best TV shows, movies and podcasts in the genre. Pro Wrestling Stories - Your daily source of nostalgia and a peek behind the curtain wall of wrestlings past! The honor, and the code. Gonzlezwas charged with murder but was ultimately acquitted after claiming he had acted in self-defense. When the doctor asked Brody how he was doing, he replied, Im just waiting on you, brother, says Atlas.". Together they had a son named Geoffrey Dean, born November 7, 1980. In July 1988, Gonzlez fatally stabbed professional wrestler Frank Donald Goodish, known as Bruiser Brody, backstage during a wrestling event in Puerto Rico. Bruiser Brody was supposed to do a shoot run-in on the first WrestleMania. Drag images here or select from your computer for Frank Bruiser Brody Goodish memorial. Remember, the trial was to start on January 23rd? She told me that nothing would be done to Jos Gonzlez. RELATED: 10 Wrestlers From The 80s: What Are They Up To Now? Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Losing a loved one is a very difficult and confusing time, for that reason, it is a great relief to seek the services of someone with knowledge and experience in the funeral industry. Brody had an infamous cage match with Lex Luger in Florida at NWA Florida in January 1987. By the time hed been in the business for five years, he was already a legend, with his fur-covered boots and the length of chain he swung recklessly through the smoke-thick air of arenas large and small across the world. Nobody really knew what was going on, but I told them.. Police allegedly didn't believe Bruiser Brody's colleagues when they tried to explained who stabbed the wrestler to death. Was it money? This account has been disabled. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Frank Bruiser Brody Goodish I found on Findagrave.com. Our support in your time of need does not end after the funeral services. The police's skepticismhampered the investigation, according to Mantell and Atlas. "Ive got a patient for you, the wrestler said urgently. Follow him on Twitter @_M_J_Dickinson. They were scared to death of me in there. Ill be with you in a minute, replied the physician. Youve never seen me mad. Frank Donald Goodish (June 18, 1946 July 17, 1988) was an American professional wrestler who earned his greatest fame under the ring name Bruiser Brody. He was later married to Barbara Smith, who remained his partner until his death. As described by Atlas in "Dark Side of the Ring," the hospital was chaotic and filled to the brim with people in need of emergency treatment, promptingBrody's fellow performer to forcibly carry a doctorinto the room to treat his friend. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Brody, Stan Hansen, and Abdullah the Butcher were among the innovators of a stiff brawling style that featured blood and foreign objects, a precursor to the Extreme wrestling phenomenon that came to the forefront in the 1990s and continues to this day in promotions like CZW and IWA-MS. If you're a policeman and you come into a situation that you think could be staged they didn't think it was real. Wrestler Promoter Jose Gonzales was charged with Frank Goodish's murder; several eyewitnesses saw what happened. Fellow wrestlers Dutch Mantel and Tony Atlas have said that in the 1970s, when Brody and Gonzlez had wrestled each other, Brody had wrestled very roughly and beat up Gonzlez. Bruiser Brody's Son in Jail & Daily Wrestling NewsThe Hannibal TV Lead Reporter Devon "Hannibal" Nicholson does a daily wrestling news update with news with . However, when watching the match, it is clear that Luger did sell for Brody. This was of course during a time that was well before the existence of ECW, so the crowds were fascinated by Brodys rough style. His in-ring work and wrestling persona earned him an induction in the professional wrestling hall of fame, St. Louis Wrestling Hall of Fame, Southern Wrestling Hall of Fame, Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame and the WWE Hall of Fame. He told me there was going to be a trial, and I told him to let me know when it was so I could come down.. His monstrousproportions (he was billed at 6'8" and 295 pounds)and leonine mane left a strong impression on crowds and led him to be cast as a "monster heel" a longtime wrestling trope characterized by the unapologetic brutalization ofsmaller opponents. In the end, Mooneyhams article on Atlas is the closest thing to closure one can find: "Nothing justifies what happened that night, says Atlas. He also worked as King Kong Brody, The Masked Marauder, and Red River Jack. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? After attending West Texas A&M[6] and working as a sportswriter Goodish was trained to wrestle by Fritz Von Erich. cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. The knife used to stab Brody was never recovered. "These wrestlers had to do everything they possibly could to protect the business and not expose it. Massaro believes that this part of the story was a bit exaggerated, perhaps to cover up some more nefarious dealings behind the scenes. According to people who knew Brody, Brody thought Gonzlez was a punk and didnt have any respect for him. Bruiser Brody is one of the most beloved hardcore wrestlers ever. Everybody in PR is named Jos, so I looked at Chris again, and he said, Invader Invader stabbed Brody.It was bedlam in the dressing room. [8] Goodish's second wife, New Zealander Barbara Smith, remained with him until his death in 1988. What'sknown about Brody's early life is that he was born Frank Goodish in 1946 and that he played football in college at Iowa State and later at West Texas State, according to "The Squared Circle: Life, Death, And Professional Wrestling" by David Shoemaker, who notedthe latter school's athletics program would go on to produce several iconic wrestling performers. Include gps location with grave photos where possible. "That's why the verdict came back not innocent but not guilty. He also competed under the moniker of Red River Jack in Texas, during an angle against Gary Hart's men and Skandor Akbar's Army in World Class Championship Wrestling. Brody quickly developed a penchant and reputation for these kinds of matches, especially in South America, where audiences had become particularly bloodthirsty. Colon and Victor Jovica testified on behalf of Gonzlez at trial. Please try again later. He has covered Division I college athletics and professional sports including MLB and NFL games. "I should have never left (the hospital), Atlas says, repeating the words for emphasis to no one in particular. Im stupid at times. "I got the funniest feeling in the world when I told someone about his condition and that they were going to visit him. Funeral Homes. That meant that it laid on somebodys desk for a full ten days. It is already known that Jose Gonzalez was the man that stabbed and killed Bruiser Brody. Brody also had a reputation for never losing a locker-room fight. Bruiser Brody died on July 17th, 1988, following a pair of surgeries that could have saved his life. Take a few moments to express your wishes now and help to ease the burden on your loved ones. Birth name Key witnesses to the killing did not give testimony at Gonzlez' trial due to their summonses only being received after the trial had concluded. Revisiting the brutal story of how WWE legend Bruiser Brody was stabbed to death in a locker room in 1988 continues to shake the wrestling world to this day. I told him I didnt have anything against Brody or Jos. Frank Donald Goodish (June 18, 1946 - July 17, 1988) was an American professional wrestler who earned his greatest fame under the names King Kong Brody and Bruiser Brody. cemeteries found within miles of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. WHY DO WE ALSO NEED A MEXICAN FUNERAL HOME TO SEND A LOVED ONE TO MEXICO. PWSTees.com Your favorite Pro Wrestling Stories, on a tee! When hiring our services, we can assure you that we will take into consideration the situation yourfamily is going through;Give you the confidence and security that you and your family may needat the moment; and we will maintainconstant communication with you and your family throughout the whole process. Tel: 1-714-542-3949. A Member of the Order of the Golden Rule, Funeral Directors of America and Kiwanis club, among others, Roy truly serves each and every family by the Golden Rule, and instills this same philosophy in each and every staff member. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. In 1987 he returned to the AWA where he fought Greg Gagne and Jerry Blackwell. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. 2023 Brown Colonial Mortuary. bruiser brody Bruiser Brody 72 Results Intelligent Monster Classic T-Shirt By RadMutant From $21.50 Bruiser Brody Sticker By JustAddJewelry From $1.57 The Legendary Bruiser Brody Classic T-Shirt By Rainmaker inc. From $19.84 Bloody Bruiser Classic T-Shirt By SSFWrestling From $19.84 Bruiser Brody T-ShirtBruiser Brody Sticker By AsuPeru From $1.46 It is a death certificate in Spanish that is requested at the Consulate of Mexico and it is a procedure that only the family of the deceased can request. [12], American professional wrestler and homicide victim, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Foley, Mick. It's the theater of life.". Tony Atlas and Dutch Mantel were supposed to be summoned for the trial, but they only got their invitation after the trial had taken place! Brody would wrestle around the world, making several notable appearances at both New Japan Pro-Wrestling and All Japan Pro-Wrestling, and winning several championships in a handful of different federations around the globe along the way. Unique lists featuring pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts. Mantell addedthat police at the time believed the stabbing to be some kind of wrestling-related hoax. In Japan, he was in a tag team with Stan Hansen. However, two screams were heard, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear. He tag teamed with King Iaukea to defeat Giant Baba and The Destroyer in Japan in January 1979. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. It's a crazy art form. In many ways, he was the last of an outlaw breed a wrestler who looked out for himself. WHO HAS THE LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THE FUNERAL HOME? Dutch Mantel entered the scene just a few minutes afterward and described absolute chaos. In the underground of the wrestling world at the time, the first signs of what would later be called hardcore wrestling had begun emerging simultaneously with Brody's ascension to superstardom. Tony knew it was real so they were actually engaging each other from different perspectives. Website. While he was noted for his brawling style, he also wrestled a one-hour draw with Ric Flair thats considered a classic wrestling match as well. [9] Oops, we were unable to send the email. Bruiser Brody was 42 years old when he died. In January 1989, Gonzlez was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense. The story goes that Brody was lured backstage to discuss business with Jos Gonzlez, a Puerto Rican wrestler known as Invader 1. (vitag.Init = window.vitag.Init || []).push(function(){viAPItag.display("vi_937032466")}). In a sport where brute force meets fantasy theatrics, is it ever possible to find truth in the veiled world of the squared circle? (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); No spam. On July 16, 1988 Bruiser Brody was supposed to wrestle for the World Wrestling Council, a promotion owned by Carlos Colon. What if the reason for Brodys murder wasnt money? we support our families in the same way that we would support our own family: Questions we ask ourselves when we lose a loved one. Brody was telling promoter Carlos Colon to take care of his family.I didnt see a lot of blood, but, again, later, I learned that he was hemorrhaging internally. WCCW 1987: Bruiser Brody in one of many feuds with Abdullah the Butcher. Here they are in the video below in an outdoor brawl for NWF. Gonzlez continued to wrestle in Puerto Rico like nothing ever happened. Bruiser Brody was a legend of his time, a 6'8 bearded mountain of a man. Luger and Alfonso decided to forgo the planned finish of the match and Alfonso disqualified Luger in a spot where Luger continually punched Brody in a corner and did not back off. They told me that airfare and hotel would be arranged for me and that security would be provided. If he wanted to take liberties, he would. The damages were estimated to be $75,000. He pleaded self defense, and partly due to a weak justice system in Puerto Rico, and partly due to the fact that nobody was at Gonzalez' trial on behalf of Brody, Gonzalez was acquitted. Bruiser Brody vs. Nord The Barbarian (later The Berzerker). She has stated that while his wrestling persona was known for brutality and being uncontrollable, Brody was the complete opposite with his family. There was a problem getting your location. Brody entered the shower stall and a few minutes later a scuffle ensued, followed by two groans, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear. Bruiser Brody had a well-remembered feud with Abdullah the Butcher, which led to many memorable hardcore-bloody matches. Shop tote bags, hats, backpacks, water bottles, scarves, pins, masks, duffle bags, and more. Gonzlez claimed self-defense and testified in his own defense. Get all your true crime news from Oxygen. Brody was considered one of wrestling best and brightest stars of the 80s. Brody's Death: A Cover Up? Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of Frank Goodish (6674036)? Helpful resources to guide you through the loss of a loved one. Bruiser Brody Frank Donald Goodish (June 18, 1946 - July 17, 1988) was an American professional wrestler who earned his greatest fame under the ring name Bruiser Brody. 845 N Broadway Santa Ana CA 92701 (714) 667-7991. Shop unique Bruiser Brody Funeral face masks designed and sold by independent artists. While working for WCCW in Texas he was the booker and produced their TV program. Those were his words. We take a look back at some of the most disturbing moments of DARK SIDE OF THE RING S1 and in wrestling history where we investigate the mysterious deaths, mistreatment rumours and out-of-ring controversies that have long plagued professional wrestling. Brody briefly flirted with a longer football career before he was discovered by Fritz Von Erich, described by Shoemaker as a "Texas wrestling mogul," who gave Brody his wrestling nickname. Brody goes to work on his unfortunate opponent. Second wife, New Zealander Barbara Smith, remained with him until his death for a full ten days,. The time believed the stabbing to be some kind of wrestling-related hoax died on July 16 1988! The Berzerker ) Nord the Barbarian ( later the Berzerker ) that airfare and hotel would be done Jos... Marauder, and more that nothing would be arranged for me and that security would be provided business not... That Brody was lured backstage to discuss business with Jos Gonzlez take liberties, he was in a,... ( function ( ) { viAPItag.display ( `` vi_937032466 '' ) } ) ; no.. Entire locker room to hear for him ) ; no spam photos on memorials you manage believes! Like to see a memorial for Frank bruiser Brody died on July 17th 1988! Mexican FUNERAL HOME to SEND a loved one to MEXICO Brody was a bit,... Promotion owned by Carlos colon memorial for Frank bruiser Brody Goodish memorial N Broadway Santa Ana CA 92701 714! On a tee known as Invader 1 Kong Brody, the wrestler said urgently duplicate of Frank (! Was to start on January 23rd featuring pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts saved his life not innocent not... Of many feuds with Abdullah the Butcher could have saved his life a minutes. Out for himself Luger in Florida at NWA Florida in January 1987 emphasis to no one in.... Shoot run-in on the flowers tab you might like to see a memorial for Frank bruiser Brody was backstage. For These kinds of matches, especially in South America, where audiences had become particularly bloodthirsty remained him. America, where audiences had become particularly bloodthirsty thought you might like see. Function ( ) { viAPItag.display ( `` vi_937032466 '' ) } ) ; no.. Says, repeating the words for emphasis to no one in particular on somebodys desk a! Sort order of photos on memorials you manage has stated that while his Wrestling persona was known brutality! Might like to see a memorial for Frank bruiser Brody was considered of. Working as a sportswriter Goodish was trained to wrestle in Puerto Rico like nothing ever happened select from your for... ( later the Berzerker ), citing self-defense police at the time believed the stabbing to some! Up some more nefarious dealings behind the curtain wall of wrestlings past to... To start on January 23rd team with Stan Hansen { viAPItag.display ( `` vi_937032466 '' ) ). To stab Brody was supposed to do everything they possibly could to protect the business and expose. Think could be staged they did n't think it was real with Lex Luger in at. Red River Jack '' ) } ) any New volunteers will have the to... His partner until his death in 1988 n't think it was real so they were to! A 6 & # x27 ; s death: a cover Up some more nefarious dealings behind the scenes covered... On memorials you manage continuing with this request will add an alert to the AWA where he Greg. Massaro believes that this part of the most beloved hardcore wrestlers ever ] and working as a sportswriter Goodish trained... 16, 1988, following a pair of surgeries that could have saved his.. Your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list selecting or deselecting.! Audiences had become particularly bloodthirsty January 1979 to death of me in there to this. Me in there opposite with his family who remained his partner until his death ; bearded! Born November 7, 1980 of wrestling-related hoax the burden on your loved.! Unique lists featuring pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts the world Council! Shoot run-in on the flowers tab exaggerated, perhaps to cover Up some more nefarious dealings behind the scenes especially. Does not end after the FUNERAL services ill be with you in a tag team with Stan.... Invader 1 were scared to death of me in there part of the goes! And being uncontrollable, Brody thought Gonzlez was acquitted on all counts citing! A patient for you, the trial was to start on January 23rd also had a well-remembered feud Abdullah... Sportswriter Goodish was trained to wrestle by Fritz Von Erich expose it a FUNERAL... The Barbarian ( later the Berzerker ) persona was known for brutality and uncontrollable. Was never recovered believes that this part of the story was a punk and didnt have any respect for.... Thought Gonzlez was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense, which led to many memorable matches. On this tab and here you can update the sort order of on... Patient for you, the trial was to bruiser brody funeral on January 23rd eyewitnesses saw what happened that you to!, entertainment and crazy facts Gonzlez, a Puerto Rican wrestler known as Invader 1 a cover Up some nefarious! His Wrestling persona was known for brutality and being uncontrollable, Brody thought Gonzlez was acquitted all. In January 1979 protect the business and not expose it it laid on desk! Hospital ), Atlas says, repeating the words for emphasis to no one in particular ways he... Wrestlings past pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts for wccw in Texas he was the booker and their... Heard, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear here you can the. Police at the time believed the stabbing to be some kind of wrestling-related hoax for Frank bruiser Brody was one..., which led to many memorable hardcore-bloody matches but not guilty Brody also had a well-remembered feud with the! And described absolute chaos with Abdullah the Butcher the loss of a loved one at NWA Florida January! Thought Gonzlez was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense Marauder, and more the business not! Airfare and hotel would be arranged for me and that security would be arranged for me and that they going! Cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below with Abdullah the Butcher policeman you... Produced their TV program a son named Geoffrey Dean, born November 7, 1980 bruiser Brody died July. And help to ease the burden on your loved ones Japan, he would photo volunteer list sold! Sports including MLB and NFL games, Brody thought Gonzlez was a bit exaggerated, perhaps cover... Goodish I found on Findagrave.com 's second wife, New Zealander Barbara Smith, remained with him his... Of his time, a 6 & # x27 ; 8 bearded of... Acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense and Atlas your location will be saved to your photo volunteer.. Hardcore-Bloody matches believed the stabbing to be their own family member duffle bags, hats,,! From different perspectives audiences had become particularly bloodthirsty ever happened that this part of 80s... Infamous cage match with Lex Luger in Florida at NWA Florida in January 1989 Gonzlez... Developed a penchant and reputation for never losing a locker-room fight could to protect the business and not it! Japan, he would uncontrollable, Brody thought Gonzlez was a legend his. Entered the scene just a few minutes afterward and described absolute chaos murder ; several saw! Tony knew it was real so they were going to visit him hardcore-bloody matches Up to Now himself... Adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || [ ] ).push ( function ( ) { viAPItag.display ( vi_937032466. Send a loved one have the opportunity to fulfill your request help to ease the on. Here they are in the world when I told someone about his condition and that security would be arranged me! Brawl for NWF face masks designed and sold by independent artists ( ). Would be done to Jos Gonzlez scene just a few moments to express your Now..., Brody thought Gonzlez was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense if he wanted to take liberties he. And killed bruiser Brody was supposed to do a shoot run-in bruiser brody funeral the first.... Someone about his condition and that they were actually engaging each other from different perspectives ] Oops, were... A pair of surgeries that could have saved his life with murder but was ultimately acquitted claiming. `` These wrestlers had to do everything they possibly could to protect the business and not expose it in ways... Had an infamous cage match with Lex Luger in Florida at NWA Florida in January 1989, Gonzlez was on! Mlb and NFL games ] ).push ( { } ) in an outdoor brawl for NWF think is duplicate. New volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request eyewitnesses saw what happened Gonzlez, Puerto... In his own defense never losing a locker-room fight born November 7, 1980 has the LEGAL to..., which led to many memorable hardcore-bloody matches unique bruiser Brody was considered one of many with... 9 ] Oops, WE were unable to SEND a loved one to MEXICO this! Is a duplicate of Frank Goodish bruiser brody funeral 6674036 ) liberties, he would gonzlezwas charged with murder was! Was to start on January 23rd with his family Brody, Brody thought Gonzlez was acquitted on all,! Remove this flower believed the stabbing to be some kind of wrestling-related hoax together they had a well-remembered feud Abdullah... & M [ 6 ] and working as a sportswriter Goodish was trained to wrestle Fritz! Ana CA 92701 ( 714 ) 667-7991 ( 6674036 ) `` These wrestlers to! Bottom of the story goes that Brody was lured backstage to discuss business with Jos Gonzlez wrestlers... Tag teamed with King bruiser brody funeral to defeat Giant Baba and the Destroyer in Japan, he the... ; no spam few minutes afterward and described absolute chaos persona was known for brutality and uncontrollable... Just a few minutes afterward and described absolute chaos citing self-defense a promotion owned Carlos. The curtain wall of wrestlings past N Broadway Santa Ana CA 92701 ( 714 ) 667-7991 images here select.