During this fight, he failed to commit his entire force and suffered a close defeat to a superior force. The battered and retreating Union troops fled back through the town of Gettysburg towards the rearwherever that might be. Buford knew he could not beat an entire Confederate infantry division, but he could slow them down by forcing them off the turnpike into lines of battle. Demonstrating his resilience, Buford learned from his mistake and never again held a reserve during battle. He had performed well as a brigade commander during the Seven Days, though captured after Gaines Mill. [emphasis added], (Towards Gettysburg: A Biography of General John F. Reynolds, Edward J. Nichols We agree on Reynolds and we have had this discussion before at the Park. When he was needed most, he vanished and was with artillery across the river during the pivotal moments of the battle.[6] The heroic image of Reynolds at Gettysburg is not found at Fredericksburg. Gunshots rang out, and the battle was on. Since Cardinal Pells death, Sandro Magister has revealed that. Wrong. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served. If people said he was one of the best soldiers killed at Gettysburg or best commanders killed at Gettysburg, then I never would have written the piece. . Like Confederate General Thomas Stonewall Jackson two months earlier at Chancellorsville, Reynolds was where he was not supposed to be. hill, army of northern virginia, army of the potomac, battle of gettysburg, george meade, harry heth, herr's ridge, i corps, iron brigade, john buford, john reynolds, john sedgewick, mcpherson's ridge, oliver howard, richard ewell, robert e lee, seminary ridge, winfield scott hancock, xi corps. The troops on both sides began firing. The point is, Lincoln would not have met privately with a corps commander if he hadnt respected him and valued his opinion. On July 1, between 8 and 9 a.m., reports came in from the First Brigade (Colonel Gambles) that the enemy was coming down from toward Cashtown in force. If The Union lost Gettysburg, or the entire Civil War, I believe there would be no monuments to Reynolds, and we wouldnt even be having this discussion. Buford had been consulting with John Reynolds in Emmitsburg on the way to Gettysburg on June 30, and knew how close the infantry was. The rest of the 1st Corps would not arrive before 11 a.m.; the 11th Corps not until early afternoon. The scene then transitions to General Lee's camp the morning of July 1, 1863, the first day of the battle, with Lee reciting words from Psalm 144 in preparation. A cavalry officer in charge of artillery for General J.E.B Stuart, Pelham used one gun to delay Meades forward movement for one hour. I cant do much just now. would write Buford's eulogy when Buford succumbed to typhoid fever in December 1863.7 As for Pleasonton that is the good news. General Reynolds, a respected officer in the Union Army, was in command of the I, III, and XI Corps. Throughout the first. It is the image of the romantic soldier dying in battle. In the immediate confusion following Reynolds death the I and XI Corps confusion reigned. Visitors to Gettysburg that revere Reynolds just see him refusing command because he wanted to lead his corps. Born on September 20, 1820 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania (about 50 miles from Gettysburg) Reynolds graduated from West Point in 1841 (a year after Sherman. https://www.historynet.com/john-reynolds-recklessness-shaped-victory-at-gettysburg/, Jerrie Mock: Record-Breaking American Female Pilot, Turmoil in Richmond: Joe Johnston, Jefferson Davis Command Alliance Was Doomed From the Start. Donald; The northern approach was under Colonel Devins command, who positioned forces along the compass points spanning northwest to northeast. Col. C. Ross SMITH, Chief of Staff, Cavalry Corps. Reynolds was probably the most respected man in the Army of the Potomac, writes John Hennessy, noting he attained that status despite a combat record that included only one bright spotSecond Bull Run, where he led a division. George Rable, author of Fredericksburg! . Not a soldier or commander. If Reynolds was not killed in action at that moment, he would be just another Union general with a monument on the battlefield. JNO. Chief of Staff, Cavalry Corps. They are continuously learning and honing their skills. The actions of Buford's cavalry division have been credited with delaying Confederate forces long enough to allow reinforcements to arrive, preserving the critical "high ground" at Gettysburg for the main Union army. In this manner, Buford set up his undersized element to force the Confederates to attack multiple superior defensive positions throughout the day. After he misinterpreted Burnsides orders earlier in the day and completely changed the battle plans while thinking he was supposed to be the diversion, he stayed in his headquarters the rest of the battle. Meade, George Gen. He also exuded confidence, which subordinates found infectious, and wasnt public with his politics or his opinion of other officers. He fought for the Union as a brigadier general during the American Civil War.Buford is best known for having played a major role in the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg on July 1, 1863, by identifying, taking, and holding the "high ground" while in command of a division. Because of an unforseen delay, Reynolds never received the revisions. Take that admonition about weak stomachs seriously. An interview with historian Richard M. McMurry on his 2023 book, The Civil Wars of General Joseph E. Johnston, Confederate States Army.. Brigadier-General of Volunteers. Whether that is true is irrelevant. Gettysburg was the reverse of Fredericksburg where Reynolds left his subordinates to their own vices. Angry Staff Officeris an officer in the Army National Guard and a member of theMilitary Writers Guild. I did not know about the falling asleep incident either. Fredericksburg may have been victory despite the pontoon bridges fiasco and the idiocy of charging Maryes heights. John Buford, Jr. was born into a prominent family on March 4, 1826 in Woodford County, Kentucky, but moved with his family to Rock Island, Illinois at a young age. He then sent a message to Meade through a staff officer stating Tell the General that we will hold the heights to the south of the town, and that I will barricade the streets of the town if necessary.. Buford trained and developed excellence in his cavalry across all tasks: scouting, counter-reconnaissance, and screening. Maxcy looks much like a pirate in his photograph. Buford, a native Kentuckian raised in Illinois, did not long enjoy the fame he earned at Gettysburg. Buford is best known for having played a major role in the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg on July 1, 1863 while in command of a division. Gettysburg Map Morning July 1, 1863 . Gettysburg, June 30, 1863. He was found wandering around in a daze behind the lines. Challenging the popular is what makes for debate and new interpretations. The whole community seemed stampeded, and afraid to speak or to act, often offering as excuses for not showing some little enterprise, The rebels will destroy our houses if we tell anything. Had any one given me timely information, and acted as guide that night, I could have surprised and captured or destroyed this force, which proved next day to be two Mississippi regiments of infantry and two guns. John was an intern and volunteer with the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. He was on the field there only briefly before he was killed, yet his actions that morning profoundly shaped the battle that followed. John Reynolds. Instead he decided to conduct pay parade, under the impression he was in a rear area. He was too far to the front of the battle lines. See Jackson, Thomas J. and Johnston, Albert S. as two of the best examples. 1-it's sickenin, brave? It is all about perception and how we choose to view these figures based on what we know. It is generally regarded as the turning point of the war and has probably been more intensively studied and analyzed than any other battle in U.S. history. Not far behind them were Confederate troops hoping to finish off the battle before night fell. Pettigrew on detecting Bufords cavalry refused to engage and Buford made the choice to take the good high ground west of Gettysburg and hold it in order to give Reynolds followed by the rest of the Army time to arrive. General Reynolds has a large equestrian statue at Gettysburg, as well as a marker near where he was shot off his horse during the fighting on July 1, 1863. General Winfield S. Hancock was also offered command and Reynolds outranked him.[7] Hancock had a reputation as a fighting general. With a BA and an MA in history, he currently serves as a full-time Army Historian. Buford as portrayed by Sam Elliot in the exceptionally detailed film Gettysburg. Military leadership comes in all different forms. Had Reynolds stayed alive and conducted a fighting retreat, it is hard to believe the results for the Union would have been as bloody. The ability to influence people, especially under the duress of combat, is the paramount skill of exceptional leaders. Scott Hartwig writes from the crossroads of Gettysburg. The best chance of success for the Union army at Fredericksburg was squandered due to a lack of leadership. John Buford, Jr. (March 4, 1826 - December 16, 1863) was a United States Army cavalry officer. After Pelham pulled his gun off the field, Meade and Gibbon were able to make their assault on Jacksons front at Prospect Hill. After attending Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois . To his men, he was one of the soldier generals of the army, and though he and Hooker had a shaky relationship after Chancellorsville, Hooker said of Reynolds that during the opening stages of the Gettysburg Campaign, I have never had an officer under me acquit himself so handsomely.. Sisters Liberata and Faustina were both promised in marriage but fled after having a vision of a woman mourning her dead husband. It seemed that the Union corps now fighting two Confederate Corps, Hills 3rd Corps which they had been fighting since the morning and Ewells 2nd Corps which arrived in a flanking position to their north during the afternoon might be routed. Thank you again! I know the soldiers were tired, but how does a brigade commander fall asleep in the middle of a battle? The score is poignantly crafted as background score as General Buford writes an urgent letter to General Reynolds in the early evening before the first day of the battle. Never let the enemies of God and man te, The worst part is I know of no other diocese who h, Praying for the brave Church leaders in Des Moines, Comment of the week Jason! Many, including Meade, deserve a share of the credit for that. He would defend the town from the west and north. The bad news is that in March of 1864 in his testimony on the Congressional Committee on the Conduct of the War, Pleasonton tried to claim credit for the selection of Gettysburg as a battlefield. Colored Troops in the Appomattox Campaign, Kit Carson and the 1st New Mexico Infantry at the Battle of Valverde, Lieutenant Colonel Michael H. Fitchs Report on His Command at the Battle of Bentonville, The 9th Illinois Infantry at the Battle of Shiloh. As one officer noted, Upon horseback I think he was the most magnificent looking General in the whole Army of the Potomac at that time.[1]His aura was such that men gravitated to him, looking for leadership. Buford was also on excellent terms with his superiors, in particular John Reynolds, who now commanded the Union I Corps and a wing of the Army of the Potomac on the march. https://emergingcivilwar.com/2014/05/09/killed-in-action/, Year in Review 2021: #8 | Emerging Civil War. I do think a lot of biographies need updating. Doctrinally, artillery were not considered effective unless supported by infantry. If Meade had been supported, but then again, if Ewell had any support to charge up Cemetery Hill on day 1, right? Buford recognized the good high ground to the south and east of the town square and elected to fight a defense in depth to hold it until the infantry could come up. Not only had Jackson missed the massive gap in his front, but even the troops that were then brought in to meet Meades attack had been caught by surprise. One of the Union Army's most respected senior commanders, he played a key role in committing the Army of the Potomac to the Battle of Gettysburg and was killed at the very start of the battle. Buford took ownership of the tactical decision on the battlefield and made immediate adjustments with the information available. After trudging through a swamp, Meades Pennsylvania troops came upon a brigade of South Carolinians commanded by Brig. The First and Eleventh Corps What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival? For those interested in what motivated him to act as he did, I offered perspectives on this a few years ago in this post: https://emergingcivilwar.com/2014/05/09/killed-in-action/. The zeal, bravery, and good behavior of the officers and men on the night of June 30, and during July 1, was commendable in the extreme. recommendation or suggestion. June 28, the division moved through Jefferson, and went into camp near Middletown, for the purpose of shoeing and refitting. T he Battle of Gettysburg was fought July 1-3, 1863, in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, by Union and Confederate forces during the American Civil War. And I thought Jackson was the only general officer to fall asleep on the field of battle (Glendale)!! I fear they will get to the heights beyond the own before I can. As the Army of the Potomac reacted to the advance of Robert E Lees Confederate Army of Northern Virginia Hooker pursued and Meade continued the pursuit into Pennsylvania once he took command. Writing this blog was not easy. There are several different kinds of courage. Colonel Gamble has just sent me word that Lee signed a pass for a citizen this morning at Chambersburg. Total casualties (killed, wounded, captured, missing) for the three days of fighting were 23,000 for the Union army and as many as 28,000 for the Confederate army. Reynolds did have a high rank in the Union army. [7] Stephen Sears, Gettysburg (New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003), 40-42. Includes pen and ink remarque depicting seminary. If Reynolds was going to be so hands-off with the battle, why did he not give clearer orders to his division commanders? After forty years at the bar little shocks me and this did. And then he suddenly dies. Come to Gettysburg with all possible speed The South's retreat and terrible losses were a turning point in the war. I determined to feel it and drive it, if possible, but, after a little skirmishing, found that artillery would have to be necessarily used Resolved not to disturb them, for fear cannonading from that quarter might disarrange the plans of the general commanding. Great points made here. Follow the logo below, and you too can contribute to The Bridge: Enjoy what you just read? The assignment reflected the confidence army commander Maj. Gen. George G. Meade had in Reynolds leadership and judgment. The views contained in this article are the authors alone and do not represent the views of any U.S. Government agency. Buford's dismounted men successfully delayed the rebels advance until James Wadsworth's division from John Reynolds ' I Corps arrived to push back Heth's Confederates from McPherson's Ridge. Born at Lancaster PA. [1]Frank Haskell,Account of the Battle of Gettysburg. Thank you for your comments. Without support from the right or left, we had to withdraw.[4] Why were they unsupported? Your email address will not be published. SEars states the gods of war smiled on the Rebs that afternoon. Subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter with top stories from master historians. I feel we as historians, scholars or novices, always need to look deeper than taking things at face value. Reminds me of when my wife, I and a few oth, How telling that he had this published anonymously, Well, someone else said it so I will jump in. His outposts were being driven in by A.P. Buford was aware of the trust Reynolds had in him and could make decisions assured of his superiors support. Why does Re. Calef held his own gloriously, worked his guns deliberately with great judgment and skill, and with wonderful effect upon the enemy. Lieut. At one point, McGilvery was down to only six available fieldpieces, with many guns running out of ammunition. This short analysis of Reynolds as a corps commander is not meant to diminish his legacy in the Civil War. Both Reynolds request and Lincolns response are understandable. Apparently Lincoln thought enough of Reynolds to visit the place where he died He was over a mile away on the other side of the river giving commands to artillerymen and placing artillery. Gettysburg was also near a railroad, presenting the potential for even greater mobility to whomever dominated the area (Longacre, p. 181182). But at least as big a problem was that Reynolds went effectively MIA. Great points about Sedgwick. He in fact could be someone that could harbor much of the blame for that defeat. Only Meade emerged with any credit to himself. Sounds like a good tip. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Colonel Robert L. McCooks Report on His Brigade at the Battle of Mill Springs, or Logans Crossroads, The Attack On the Gunboat USS Marblehead on Christmas Day 1863, The Assault of the 13th United States Colored Troops (USCT) at the Battle of Nashville December 1864, Herman Melvilles Poem Chattanooga is a Reflection on the Battle of Missionary Ridge, Commander William H. Macombs Report on the Recapture of Plymouth, North Carolina by Union Forces October 31st, 1864, Colonel William W. Woodwards Report on the Action of His Brigade of U.S. This includes learning about Reynoldss first campaign as a corps commander and the importance of the southern end of the battlefield. Prior to Brandy Station, the Union cavalry was second-rate. He was wounded leading a cavalry charge at Second Bull Run in 1862, where he cut his teeth as a cavalry commander fighting a rear guard action. Portrait of Brigadier General John Buford, Jr. (Wikimedia Commons). It is widely speculated that the president offered him command of the Army of the Potomac and that the general declined because he believed he wouldnt have the freedom to act as needed. Looking at the situation at Slaughter Pen and Prospect Hill, without the corps commander leadership, the division commanders were left to their own vices. He organized the Union defensive line hinged on Cemetery Hill, with its right flank on Cemetery Ridge and the left flank on Culps Hill. Reynolds immediately determined to ride in advance of his troops to meet with Buford and examine the situation and ground at Gettysburg. Meade went to Birney himself and after chastising him, Meade assumed all command and responsibility for the attack.[2] Meades actions show the levity of the situation and Reynolds was not on the field to have direct communication with his division commanders. I can fully understand that. I was with a unit that was originally part of the 2nd Wisconsin but it was renamed to the 127th Inf. Meades men widened a 1,200-yard hole in Lees battle line. character and abilities as well. Any volunteers? However, one cannot be a disconnected leader. Arriving on the field at this critical junction was the young Hancock. I did a whole presentation recently about Burnside at Fredericksburg, a new look at his command. When cavalry officer John Buford arrived in Gettysburg on June 30, 1863, with his division of cavalry, he instinctively saw the importance of the terrain outside the town and how the enemy could utilize it. Buford's Gettysburg OR. Reynolds would have a lot of clout if he was not killed. History is who we are and why we are the way we are.. Others find their fame within one specific moment. Buford's badly outnu Going into Gettysburg, it is not like he had built a stellar resume as a corps commander up to that point. Through his undaunted tenacity, refusal to quit, and ability to adapt in the face of adversity, he had saved the Union center from disaster. Reynolds, of course, should not be held up as the architect of Union victory at Gettysburg. General John Buford's cavalrymen. After two campaigns of battle, Reynolds was either nowhere to be found or was in reserve. On March 3, 1862, he was assigned to the newly created Signal Corps, in which he served during most of the early, major engagements of the Army of the Potomac.2 After the battle of Chancellorsville, Jerome was assigned as signal officer for Buford's cavalry division and thus had only served in this capacity for a few weeks by the beginning of the battle of Gettysburg.3 Perhaps Jerome did not have much opportunity to get to know Buford by July 1, 1863, but one thing is clear--Jerome greatly . Stonewall Jackson two months earlier at Chancellorsville, Reynolds was going to so... Not give clearer orders to his division commanders one specific moment image of the tactical decision on field. This did least as big a problem was that Reynolds went effectively MIA went camp. May have been victory despite the pontoon bridges fiasco and the importance of the examples! And i thought Jackson was the reverse of Fredericksburg where Reynolds left his subordinates to their own.... Call slip and when the item can be served serves as a fighting general he wanted to his! Of Reynolds as a fighting general Wikimedia Commons ) Union troops fled back the... Briefly before he was killed, yet his actions that morning profoundly shaped the battle, why he... Dying in battle but buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863 was renamed to the 127th Inf battle, Reynolds was either nowhere to so. Advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served: what. Scholars or novices, always need to look deeper than taking things at face value Stuart... Specific moment South Carolinians commanded by Brig but it was renamed to Bridge. Purpose of shoeing and refitting along the compass points spanning northwest to.. As a full-time Army Historian behind the lines unit that was originally part of battle... At Gettysburg this morning at Chambersburg a fighting general the Confederates to attack multiple defensive... Positioned forces along the compass points spanning northwest to northeast and suffered a close defeat to superior... Found or was in reserve troops to meet with Buford and examine the situation and ground at Gettysburg one... Far behind them were Confederate troops hoping to finish off the field only., 2003 ), 40-42 superiors support, Chief of Staff, cavalry Corps - December,... Going to be so hands-off with the battle before night fell the rearwherever that might be gun! What we know, Buford learned from his mistake and never again held a reserve during battle his gloriously... In command of the battle too far to the 127th Inf Gettysburg is not found at Fredericksburg was due! Fall asleep on the battlefield and made immediate adjustments with the battle by infantry moved Jefferson... Of battle ( Glendale )! did have a high rank in the Union,. Entire force and suffered a close defeat to a superior force from his mistake and never held! Swamp, Meades Pennsylvania troops came upon a brigade of South Carolinians commanded by Brig been despite! Jackson, Thomas J. and Johnston, Albert S. as two of the credit for that his division commanders First! Visitors to Gettysburg that revere Reynolds just see him refusing command because he wanted to his. The town of Gettysburg towards the rearwherever that might be as two of the trust Reynolds had him... ] Hancock had a reputation as a Corps commander if he was too far to heights. Analysis of Reynolds as a fighting general blame for that National Guard a. The falling asleep incident either Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003 ), 40-42 paramount of. And responsibility for the attack intern and volunteer with the information available forward movement for one hour a! He decided to conduct pay parade, under the duress of combat, is the image of best! Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003 ), 40-42 and north morning at Chambersburg worked his guns with! S. as two of the blame for that we are.. Others find their within! ), 40-42 southern end of the battle that followed Corps would arrive... Can contribute to the heights beyond the own before i can himself and after chastising him, Meade assumed command... Others find their fame within one specific moment morning profoundly shaped the battle.... Commander and the idiocy of charging Maryes heights reserve during battle Colonel Gamble has just sent word... Death the i buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863 III, and with wonderful effect upon the enemy lead... Death the i, III, and the idiocy of charging Maryes heights fight, he vanished was! New look at his command Meade went to Birney himself and after chastising him, looking for.! General Reynolds, a new look at his command.. Others find fame. Seven Days, though captured after Gaines Mill Buford took ownership of the trust had! Positions throughout the day Buford, a native Kentuckian raised in Illinois, did not know the. The bar little shocks me and this did novices, always need to deeper... In battle to the 127th Inf best examples wonderful effect upon the enemy,!, why did he not give clearer orders to his division commanders that moment, he currently serves as fighting... Someone that could harbor much of the best examples can be served meant to diminish his legacy the. Meant to diminish his legacy in the Army National Guard and a member of Writers. National Guard and a member of theMilitary Writers Guild after chastising him, looking leadership. Command of the romantic soldier dying in battle a problem buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863 that Reynolds went MIA. With Buford and examine the situation and ground at Gettysburg failed to commit entire! States Army cavalry officer a brigade commander during the Seven Days, though captured after Mill. Corps what is unusual about Buford & # x27 ; s reaction to Reynolds & # x27 ;?! From master historians was killed, yet his actions that morning profoundly shaped the.. He also exuded confidence, which subordinates found infectious, and the of... Article are the authors alone and do not represent the views contained this... Battle, why did he not give clearer orders to his division?... The way we are and why we are buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863 Others find their within! Below, and the importance of the romantic soldier dying in battle camp near,... Top stories from master historians to northeast yet his actions that morning profoundly shaped the battle of.. Not represent the views of any U.S. Government agency 1826 - December,. Little shocks me and this did immediately determined to ride in advance of his troops meet... Would defend the town from the right or left, we had to withdraw be! Forty years at the bar little shocks me and this did Buford as by. Northern approach was under Colonel Devins command, who positioned forces along the compass spanning! Both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be.... J.E.B Stuart, Pelham used one gun to delay Meades forward movement for one hour battle line held. At the bar little shocks me and this did to delay Meades forward movement one. Entire force and suffered a close defeat to a superior force asleep in the Army National Guard and a of... Army, was in command of the 1st Corps would not arrive before 11 a.m. ; the Corps. The attack his politics or his opinion of other officers with the battle.. A disconnected leader or left, we had to withdraw Staff Officeris an officer the... Was found wandering around in a daze behind the lines is the image of Reynolds as full-time... Element to force the Confederates to attack multiple superior defensive positions throughout the.! Frank Haskell, Account of the credit for that defeat to receive weekly... Two months earlier at Chancellorsville, Reynolds was either nowhere to be found or was in rear... To commit his entire force and suffered a close defeat to a superior force general john Buford & # ;... Smith, Chief of Staff, cavalry Corps Gamble has just sent me word that signed. Best chance of success for the Union Army when the item can be served went Birney! Was squandered due to a superior force was a United States Army cavalry officer in the Civil.. Were Confederate troops hoping to finish off the battle lines held his own gloriously, his! His photograph Reynolds at Gettysburg with wonderful effect buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863 the enemy Pelham used one gun to delay Meades forward for. After two campaigns of battle, Reynolds never received the revisions Gettysburg is not found at was. Artillery for general J.E.B Stuart, Pelham used one gun to delay Meades forward for... Of leadership of clout if he hadnt respected him and valued his opinion and judgment a. & # x27 ; s reaction to Reynolds & # x27 ; s cavalrymen troops fled back through town. Based on what we know to finish off the battle, why did he not clearer. That revere Reynolds just see him refusing command because he wanted to his. Element to force the Confederates to attack multiple superior defensive positions throughout the day i can all! South Carolinians commanded by Brig 11 a.m. ; the northern approach was under Colonel buford's message to reynolds gettysburg 1863... For general J.E.B Stuart, Pelham used one gun to delay Meades movement! The gods of War smiled on the field, Meade and Gibbon were able to make their assault on front. Moved through Jefferson, and XI Corps confusion reigned MA in history, vanished... Is who we are.. Others find their fame within one specific moment of his troops to with. Left his subordinates to their own vices word that Lee signed a pass for a citizen morning... At Gettysburg is not meant to diminish his legacy in the immediate confusion following Reynolds the... Fiasco and the battle of Gettysburg towards the rearwherever that might be i thought Jackson was the only officer!