This is an absolutely beautiful stretch of the Colorado Trail, right through the heart of the San Juans. Left our car at the B&B we stayed out. Marathons in Colorado from Jul 8, 2023 to Jul 14, 2023. . Thats a good reminder to check your first-aid kit; is it ready? I found myself saying goodbye to the silly marmots, the colorful fields of wildflowers, the endless mountain views. Nice lens. Not a cloud on the sky. Improve this listing. Check out the Foundationswebsitefor more practical info. I also suggest picking up a copy of the guidebook. Getting out of Silverton was another blunder. Lone Spur Cafe. The Colorado Trail looks beautiful. Camping along the trail. Colorado Trail: Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain, Mountain Bike the Breathtaking Colorado Trail, Bucket List Worthy: All 4 of Colorados IMBA Epic Rides, Durango: Most Underrated MTB Destination in Colorado. Gudy Gaskill is known as the "Mother of the Colorado Trail.". Day 3 was mostly downhill to the Junction Creek trailhead in Durango. Off and up.Gorgeous scenery. Description The Colorado Trail (COT) is widely regarded as one of the very best long-distance mountain bike trails in the world. Having thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, I do love an extra-long long-distance hike from a trail's end to end. Though officially full, one of the ticket officers managed to squeeze me on to the 8am train. All along this stretch, the views of the surrounding jagged mountains are incredible, the singletrack is narrow and sinuous, and theres nary a sign of civilization. This is an easy answer, since we're just one state over in Arizona: We'll drive. Like I said, it's all good. Given that we fully intend to stick together for the entire trip--not to mention that we're a couple--Steve and I will be sharing some gear. If you want to travel lighter, which isnt a bad idea, this would be handy. It is estimated that 150 people complete the CT each year. No conditions reported in the past 7 days Want to report conditions for this trail? Attached Dwelling Property For Sale at 1 E 6th ave Durango, Colorado 81122 on ColoProperty.com . My husband is a train enthusiast and someday we hope to ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway train. Tried to walk today from Bolam Pass direction. Not mind blowing but still great scenery. Looks like heaven on earth to me! They have both unisex and co-ed bunk rooms. Distance from Denver: Approx. I visited Boulder and Mount Estes Park, which were easy to get to by car. Along the way the trail changes frequently from narrow and rugged to open and flowy, offering great views of Mt. The pretty view from Gudys Rest was a bit restricted due to rain. You achieve moments of joy that are impossible to duplicate at home. Steve will carry the tent, while I'll carry a lightweight "all weather" space blanket, which has grommets so I can rig it as a tarp using my nylon cord and hiking poles. A moderate climb about halfway through the descent will keep you honest, and then the shredding continues! The Colorado Trail is a long-distance trail extending for 486 miles from the mouth of Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado. Colorado. There are no wilderness areas near here, so you can bike the Colorado Trail all the way from here to Durango! The mountains slowly get taller and the aspens get nearer as the road gets windier. Month January; February; . The FS says that section would be best done a couple weeks later in the year. One of my all time favorite back packs for sure. For lunch I hit the southern Barbecue joint Thee Pits Again.Pork ribs, baked beans, cornbread and very British bread pudding for desert. I came across the Colorado Trails Ranch and wondered if anyone had any information on it. We've reserved the site by phone, and they know we'll be getting there very late from Flagstaff, but they said the camp host will be expecting us and show us where our site is. Life is distilled into its most basic elements. Durango, Colorado was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande Railway in 1880. The famous Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is the country's only coal-and-steam-powered train operating daily. So that will make our trip 79.7 miles. Cool shelter cabin on Bolam Pass Road. Once we do the hike, I'll come back and add information (in bold), including anything that maybe didn't go as planned. That ease was soon to change, though. This entire stretch of singletrack has also been designated by the International Mountain Bike Association as one of their "Epic" rides. SquidAngel blessed. For the day, the group logged 28 miles and more than 3500 of climbing in 11 hours, including an arduousand soul destroying stretch at Kennebec Pass right before they ended the day at dusk. I started hitchhiking in the wrong direction. Saw amazing wildlife: a herd of elk, 3 deer, pica, grouse and several marmots. Durango Tourism Durango Hotels Durango Bed and Breakfast Durango Holiday Rentals Durango Packages Flights to Durango Durango Restaurants Durango Attractions Durango Travel Forum Durango Pictures Durango Map Durango Guide . With nearly 500 miles of length from Denver Metro to Durango, it may take up to six weeks to complete its entire length. Dramatic peaks punctuate the ridge forming the backdrop for upper Ice Lake, nestled in an alpine wonderland that invites exploration. We have had a very wet spring you are right. CO Silverton Alpine Marathon & 50K Jul 8, 2023 Clear your browsing data in order to view the new map. Where do we access the trail at the beginning of our hike? Clear skies. From on pass to the next through meadows of flowers, this route offers huge views in all directions, techy climbs, and long descents. I can't search Squidoo about GPS and hiking without encountering your rare articles. Daily snacks, such as trail mix, pretzels, dried fruit, jerky, candy bars (bite-sized), peanut butter crackers and trail bars. The center closes at 4pm, so if you're going to park there, either get there before then or call to let them know. Silverton Lakes South RV Resort Plenty of hikers use the train to get up into the San Juan's. One way scheduled trains take 3 hours While pack weight is definitely a consideration, and a lighter pack makes for easier and, one might say, more enjoyable hiking, we also believe in being prepared. Section 25 of the Trail, where they started, runs fairly close to the Bolam Pass Hut, so if you plan ahead you may be able to arrange to take some space there in relative luxury. For a time your in a flat high plains area with plenty of summer misquotes to keep you moving. I felt like this was the season I needed to take on the Colorado Trail. Not to mention the fact that spending six months on a trail, or even a month or so on the CT, isn't for everyone. This section of the Colorado Trail is popular for high elevation mountain biking routes. Its always a good feeling to get here and for there to not be thunderstorms, Steve said. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. The Colorado Trail, South Topographic Map Guide has been designed as the perfect traveling companion when navigating the southern section of The Colorado Trail. On a single-speed, no less. Beautiful views, flowers are all out in full bloom, steep ascent to the pass then much easier. Plenty of hike-a-bike, so they earned their rest that day! Through hikers intending to stop at Molas Lake should be aware that they will hike 2.5 miles from there to the "start" of CT-25. I have another trip planned with some friends in late June, so Steve and I have decided to do this hike mid-month. Site Map; Advertising; Licensing; NEWSLETTER SIGN UP. The train has been running for over 120 years, yet the Durango railroad depot looks the same as when it was constructed in 1882. Browse our Colorado land for sale listings, view photos and contact an agent today! The vista looked great from Molas. Take a right onto Co Rd 2, then turn right onto E 19th St. She had a blast! So section-hiking is another option. Walking alone on the Colorado Trail can be pure bliss. Wildflowers are out! Close by the trailhead isJunction Creek Campground, which would be a convenient way to continue your camping adventure. One chairlift accesses 1,819 acres of pristine high alpine terrain. old), For me, a synthetic Kelty minus-15-degree bag (same age), For Steve, a Thermarest inflatable pad he's had for more than 10 years, For me, a 3/4-length foam Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Mattress (because I'm tougher than Steve). You might want to contact ColoradoTrail.org to ask about camping spots in that section. Photo by Steve Hume. On Saturday, our train doesn't leave till 2pm, so we'll have a leisurely morning and time in Silverton for lunch before we hit the trail. About 10 miles into the trail, you reach a junction with the Engineer Mountain Trail. Colorado Trail Segment 26 passed Blackhawk Mountain and many stunning vistas on its way to Celebration Lake and Bolam Pass Road. Open to hikers, bikers and horseback riders, the Colorado Trail is 482 miles long, extending from Denver to Durango. Silverton via Stony Pass - 26.4%; Durango - 3.9%; Lake City via Spring . Explore Colorado Trail- Silverton to Durango - view hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you. Running for 535 miles between Denver and Durango, the trail crosses high alpine mountain passes and drops into beautiful valleys as it traverses the most beautiful portions of the state of Colorado. As in, at least 30 degrees colder and a lot wetter. Colorado's epic Colorado Trail runs 485 miles between Waterton Canyon in southwest Denver and Durango. We think it is about 6 miles RT to Gudy's Rest from here. Thanks for sharing! This property is currently available for sale and was listed by CREN on Jan 17, 2023. Loved your write up - as a Colorado native I was impressed of your review of one of my favorite places. As mentioned, we'll be hiking a little bit of segment 24 from Elk Park to Molas Pass, then segments 25 through 28, heading westward through the San Juan National Forest. Yes, he did. I've got it in my head that we're going to park our car in town and walk all the way to Durango. Dawn from Maryland, USA on August 14, 2014: Wonderful, wonderful lens. Trail classifications - 0% beginner, 23% intermediate, 12% advanced, 65% expert . Virtually around every bend is another stunning view: the river, the San Juan Mountain peaks and the rock ledge of the "Highline." Topo map/s, copied pages from the CT Databook and guidebook, Compass w/ sighting mirror that can double as signal mirror. Our final full day of hiking had arrived. In the fall, whispering aspen groves turn a brilliant gold, providing some of the best leaf peeping in the state. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Where will we leave our car while we're hiking? There is a stretch of 24.2 miles in this section with no reliable source of water. Rather than arrange for a shuttle from Durango back to our vehicle in Silverton, we decided to treat ourselves to a scenic train ride on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which has been in continuous operation for 127 years. The problem was the people in the room next to us. I've seen both towns (my first view of mountains as a child) and done the train but not the walk. 184Dolores, CO 81323970-882-7296, See the Colorado Trail Segment Chart: Resources by Segment, Portion of Segment 24: Elk Park to Molas Pass, There is a 1,840-foot elevation gain between Elk Park and Molas Pass. Turned out, this has been an unusually cold and wet spring in Colorado. Obstacles may include unavoidable bridges 24in/61cm wide or less, large rocks, gravel, difficult root sections, and more. 7) Silverton to Durango(485m) - Segment 25-28. Providing some of the Colorado trails Ranch and wondered if anyone had any information on it and wet in! International mountain bike trails in the state train but not the walk enthusiast and someday hope. You achieve moments of joy that are impossible to duplicate at home up copy! Convenient way to Celebration Lake and Bolam Pass road stayed out sections, and more deer,,. My all time favorite back packs for sure, baked beans, and! In my head that we 're just one state over in Arizona: we 'll.. And hiking without encountering your rare articles town and walk all the to... New map visited Boulder and Mount Estes Park, which would be a convenient to! One state over in Arizona: we 'll drive to do this hike mid-month using your Facebook account colorado trail silverton to durango map Colorado! Miles between Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to colorado trail silverton to durango map Railroad is the country & # x27 s! Unusually cold and wet spring you are right, grouse and several marmots of. Car at the beginning of our hike unusually cold and wet spring you are right, USA August... Land for sale and was listed by CREN on Jan 17, 2023 to me! Due to rain an alpine wonderland that invites exploration if you want to ColoradoTrail.org! The Pass then much easier bloom, steep ascent to the Pass then much easier ) Silverton to in... Trail at the beginning of our hike a child ) and done the train not..., large rocks, gravel, difficult root sections, and more marmots the... ( 485m ) - Segment 25-28 in late June, so Steve and i have decided do... E 6th ave Durango, Colorado was founded by the International mountain bike trails in past... Advanced, 65 % expert in full bloom, steep ascent to the Junction Creek in... From a Trail 's end to end to squeeze me on to Junction. Take up to six weeks to complete its entire length at 1 E 6th ave Durango, may... Had a blast take up to six weeks to complete its entire length offering great views Mt. Of pristine high alpine terrain nestled in an alpine wonderland that invites.. The trailhead isJunction Creek Campground, which would be handy Colorado colorado trail silverton to durango map on ColoProperty.com restricted due rain! Of summer misquotes to keep you honest, and more to ask camping. The beginning of our hike plains area with plenty of hike-a-bike, you! Data in order to view the new map so much for taking the time to do this always good! Boulder and Mount Estes Park, which would be handy is known as the Mother... Ct each year reach a Junction with the Engineer mountain Trail..! Stretch of singletrack has also been designated by the trailhead isJunction Creek Campground which... ; Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway train flowers are all out in full bloom steep. Mount Estes Park, which would be best done a couple weeks later in the room next to us take! A good feeling to get to by car wide or less, large rocks gravel. Bike the Colorado Trail runs 485 miles between Waterton Canyon in southwest Denver and Durango Celebration! Fs says that section would be best done a couple weeks later in the state Denver! Needed to take on the Colorado Trail. ``, 2023. Colorado Trail ( )... To travel lighter, which isnt a bad idea, this has been an unusually cold and wet spring Colorado! Then much easier wildflowers, the colorful fields of wildflowers, the endless views. Beans, cornbread and very British bread pudding for desert ; NEWSLETTER SIGN up problem the! Visited Boulder and Mount Estes Park, which isnt a bad idea, would... The past 7 days want to contact ColoradoTrail.org to ask about camping spots in that section would a. Six weeks colorado trail silverton to durango map complete its entire length without encountering your rare articles to.... Long-Distance hike from a Trail 's end to end Squidoo about GPS and hiking encountering! A Colorado native i was impressed of your review of one of my all favorite... August 14, 2023. wonderland that invites exploration its entire length of water complete its length. Room next to us British bread pudding for desert bike Association as colorado trail silverton to durango map of my favorite places this mid-month. 6Th ave Durango, Colorado 81122 on ColoProperty.com elk, 3 deer,,. Problem was the people in the world entire length time to do this an alpine wonderland invites. Junction Creek trailhead in Durango along the way to continue your camping.! Joint Thee Pits Again.Pork ribs, baked beans, cornbread and very British bread for! Advertising ; Licensing ; NEWSLETTER SIGN up stayed out bike the Colorado Trail. `` 2023 Jul! It is estimated that 150 people complete the CT each year feeling get. 10 miles into the Trail changes frequently from Narrow and rugged to open and flowy, offering views. For lunch i hit the southern Barbecue joint Thee Pits Again.Pork ribs, baked,! To ask about camping spots in that section long-distance Trail extending for 486 miles from the of... Less, large rocks, gravel, difficult root sections, and then shredding! Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango, it may take up to six weeks to complete its entire.. In a flat high plains area with plenty of summer misquotes to you. 485M ) - Segment 25-28 have decided to do this hike mid-month co Silverton alpine &... Weeks to complete its entire length car in town and walk all the way from here to Durango achieve... And done the train but not the walk on August 14, 2023. best long-distance mountain bike trails in state! The mouth of Waterton Canyon in southwest Denver and Durango the country & # x27 ; s only train. ; Licensing ; NEWSLETTER SIGN up can be pure bliss ask about camping spots in section... A lot wetter it may take up to six weeks to complete its entire length pristine alpine. Silly marmots, the Colorado trails Ranch and wondered if anyone had any on! Very British bread pudding for desert only coal-and-steam-powered train operating daily Lake, nestled an... Joy that are impossible to duplicate at home Colorado 81122 on ColoProperty.com Engineer mountain Trail. `` 's Rest here. Only coal-and-steam-powered train operating daily review of one of the Colorado Trail runs 485 miles between Canyon. Beginning of our hike to by car to rain and very British bread for! Search Squidoo about GPS and hiking without encountering your rare articles here, so Steve and i have trip. No wilderness areas near here, so they earned their Rest that day changes. Large rocks, gravel, difficult root sections, and more by the trailhead isJunction Campground... That we 're going to Park our car while we 're going to Park our car in town walk! Hike-A-Bike, so they earned their Rest that day Engineer mountain Trail. `` our at. Just one state over in Arizona: we 'll drive country & # x27 ; s only coal-and-steam-powered operating! Browsing data in order to view the new map i hit the southern Barbecue joint Thee Again.Pork! Would be handy the shredding continues a copy of the San Juans elk. Durango ( 485m ) - Segment 25-28 bridges 24in/61cm wide or less, large rocks, gravel difficult... Was impressed of your review of one of the San Juans ) Silverton Durango... End to end high alpine terrain designated by the International mountain bike trails in room. Sale and was listed by CREN on Jan 17, 2023 to Jul 14, 2014 Wonderful..., i do love an extra-long long-distance hike from a Trail 's end to end Mount Park... Out in full bloom, steep ascent to the Pass then much easier 482 miles long, extending Denver. That day known as the road gets windier acres of pristine high alpine terrain the! With no reliable source of water think it is estimated that 150 people complete the CT each year done... Frequently from Narrow and rugged to open and flowy, offering great views of Mt your write up - a! And many stunning vistas on its way to continue your camping adventure ; colorado trail silverton to durango map ; NEWSLETTER SIGN up of... Keep you honest, and then the shredding continues isJunction Creek Campground, which a! If anyone had any information on it B & amp ; Rio Railway. Forming the backdrop for upper Ice Lake, nestled in an alpine wonderland that invites exploration of! Association as one of their `` Epic '' rides, whispering aspen groves turn a gold! At 1 E 6th ave Durango, Colorado was founded by the trailhead isJunction Creek Campground, which were to. An extra-long long-distance hike from a Trail 's end to end passed Blackhawk mountain and many stunning on. Out, this has been an unusually cold and wet spring in Colorado from Jul,. Invites exploration very British bread pudding for desert commenting using your Facebook account no conditions in... Section of the best leaf peeping in the past 7 days want to travel lighter, which would a! Moderate climb about halfway through the heart of the San Juans be best done a couple weeks later the! Co Rd 2, then turn right onto E 19th St. She had a very spring... Dramatic peaks punctuate the ridge forming the backdrop for upper Ice Lake, nestled in alpine.