}html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a:link{ This material has been reissued on CD on the "Columbia Years" collection (Collector's Choice, 2003) but if you're a vinylholic, this is a pretty tasty original album to have around. Vinyl has light scratches but does not skip. Knowing you will always be the same. In 1970, he reached the Top 5 with "Heart Over Mind", which peaked at No. Mel Tillis bridged the gap between what he ought to do and what he really did. The big country hits to which the title refers are those he wrote for other artists, particularly Webb Pierce, who cut no fewer than eight of the ten songs here.Tillis recorded for Columbia from 1957-1962 and had only a few minor hits of his own, but enjoyed great success as a . Copyright 2023 Country Thang Daily, all rights reserved. }@media (max-width:768px) {.Navigation a:hover{ He was the man he meant to be. 00:00 / 03:01. "Southern Rains" in 1981 was his last No. He really was an encyclopedia. Mel Tillis - Burning Memories - Used Vinyl Record 7 - B5A . This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Heart over Mind. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. He wasnt great at saying it, and so he concentrated on the doing. His song top the charts at No. Start the wiki. 2:09. chords are intended for you private use only, it was recorded by Mel Tillis as well as several other artists. ${cardName} unavailable for quantities greater than ${maxQuantity}. but it is about a guy in Nam who is seriously injured and is dreaming of those lights, wrong song. [5] Other Tillis hits include "Honky Tong Song" and "Tupelo County Jail". Mel Tillis, byname of Lonnie Melvin Tillis, (born August 8, 1932, Dover, Florida, U.S.died November 19, 2017, Ocala, Florida), American songwriter and entertainer who composed more than a thousand country music songs (music and lyrics), many of which became standards. Lonnie Melvin Tillis (August 8, 1932[1] November 19, 2017)[2] was an American country music singer and songwriter. }}@media (max-width:447px) {.Navigation a:hover{ }}@media (max-width:447px) {.Navigation a:visited{ 02:12. By this time, however, Tillis had built up a financial empire, thanks to investing in music publishing companies such as Sawgrass and Cedarwood. Advertise With Us. Most of the above-mentioned song hits were recorded on MGM Records, Tillis' record company in the early part of the decade. }html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a{ }html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a:hover{ While many other members have played with them during their run from 1967 to 2017, below is a timeline of just the members during their recorded output. 3 on the U.S. too lonely too long, something special, take my hand and heart over mind are foremost in my memories, thanks Mel! He was epic and beloved and important, and he wrote and recorded some of American music's greatest songs. Thanks Guy Miller. You keep hurting me I know but I just can't let you go. The next house over is the grocery store. Would you be willing to share? }}#PageWrapper .Navigation h3, html.mobile #PageWrapper .Navigation h3{border-color:#FFFFFF;border-style:solid;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;text-align:left;font-size:14px;color:#000000;font-weight:bold; He was smart as a whip, and funny as hell. Most of our stutters are permanent: We never fill the gap between what we ought to do and what we really do the gap between who we are and who we ought to be. A child of labor, he became a man of business. secondhandsongs.com, Released more than 10 years after its recording. Which Character is Cole Hauser in Dazed and Confused? On February 13, 2012, President Barack Obama awarded Tillis the National Medal of Arts for his contributions to country music. Life had been tough for him, but, rather than retire his ambitions, he aspired to grand things. Tillis recorded for Columbia from 1957-1962 and had only a few minor hits of his own, but enjoyed great success as a songwriter. Mel Tillis "Heart Over Mind And Other Big Country Hits" (Columbia, 1962) ---------------------------------------------- The first full LP from honkytonk songwriter Mel Tillis! }}@media (max-width:447px) {#PageWrapper div.Navigation a:hover{ here }@media (max-width:768px) {.Navigation a{ 40+ years and it will still fill any Texas dance floor! Kathy Jones he always had twin fiddles with him. He wrote many famous songs that top the charts in the US and outside too. He had like a eight piece band with a horn section. It started with a pair of two No. Heart over Mind Lonnie Melvin "Mel" Tillis (August 8, 1932 - November 19, 2017) was an American country music singer and songwriter. bannertext.shtml written by Bo Gran Svensson The song has been recorded numerous times. In July 1998, Old Dogs Volumes 1 and 2 were released on the Atlantic Records label. Jennifur sun, Jim Glaser sang the song, "Lights of Albuquerque. This CD will get your feet tapping for sure. Although he recorded songs since the late 1950s, his biggest s read more. 2 Heart Over Mind 00:00,0 I Ain't Never 02:29,1 Ten Thousand Drums 04:18,0 No Love Have I 06:24,0 I'm Tired 08:44,1 Tupelo County Jail 11:08,1 Mary, Don't You Weep 13:08,1 Holiday For Love 15:24,2 Shanghaied 17:37,0 A Thousand Miles Ago 19:34,2 Emotions 21:46,2 Find all time classic Tracks. Tillis appeared as the television commercial spokesman for the fast-food restaurant chain Whataburger during the 1980s. }html.mobile .Navigation a:hover{ }}#PageWrapper div.Navigation a, html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a{font-weight:bold;font-size:14px;font-family:AvantGardeRegular;font-family:AvantGardeRegular;background-image:url("/sd/image-files/navimage.gif"); }}#PageWrapper .Navigation h3, html.mobile #PageWrapper .Navigation h3{border-color:#FFFFFF;border-style:solid;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;text-align:left;font-size:14px;color:#000000;font-weight:bold; His daughter is 1990s country hitmaker Pam Tillis. Print Heart Over Mind or a similar word processor, then recopy and paste to key changer. DevDigital: Nashville Software Development. [1] In 1958, he had his first Top 40 hit, "The Violet and a Rose",[1] followed by the Top 25 hit "Sawmill". English, Heart over Mind Comments. He remained with Elektra until 1982 before switching back to MCA for a brief period in 1983. Knowing you will always be the same. or a similar word processor, then recopy and paste to key changer. One of my all time favorites.. the fiddle takeoff is great! Mel Tillis' first album from 1962 was reissued in 1970 when his Kapp recording of "Heart Over Mind" became a hit. The days of WBAP and Bill Mack. C. Cause my heart won't let my love for you change. April - Together Again - Emmylou Harris. The song Heart over Mind was written by Mel Tillis and was first recorded and released by Ray Price in 1961. This is a detailed discography for American country music singer Mel Tillis. A Reminder to Be Grateful from Merle Haggards Family Bible. In light of all the attention given Mel Tillis' infamous speech impediment -- he even named his autobiography Stutterin' Boy -- the polished, sincere vocal delivery and songwriting skills that first earned him fame were often lost in the shuffle; non. [9], Tillis suffered from several illnesses beginning in January 2016. The narrator is a martyr, the exact word to describe the man in the song. }html.mobile .Navigation a:hover{ He was teased when he was young. Low Although he recorded songs since the late 1950s, his biggest success occurred in the 1970s, with a long list of Top 10 hits. }html.mobile .Navigation a:visited{ Similar Artists. Copy and paste lyrics and chords to the Tillis was a member of the Grand Ole Opry, Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, and Country Music Hall of Fame. Ten Thousand Drums [Album Version] Mel Tillis. Proudly created withWix.com, 2023 by Artist Corner. Ray Price originally recorded Heart over Mind written by Mel Tillis and Ray Price released it on the single Heart Over Mind in 1961. }@media (max-width:768px) {.Navigation a{ A short time later, Tillis acquired Amarillo, Texas, Rock FM station KYTX, which changed calls to KMML (a play on Tillis' stutter) (that station is now known today as KXSS-FM, a Top 40 radio station and is currently still a sister station to KIXZ). Real country music. [1] He wrote for Charley Pride ("The Snakes Crawl At Night")[1] and wrote "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town", which was a hit for Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. Here". The song Heart over Mind was written by Mel Tillis and was first recorded and released by Ray Price in 1961. And in my heart I try hard to forget. This title is a cover of Heart Over Mind as made famous by Mel Tillis. He left Mel and went to play for John Bush Shinn. He also has won the CMA Awards' most coveted award, Entertainer of the Yea, Lonnie Melvin "Mel" Tillis (August 8, 1932 - November 19, 2017) was an American country music singer and songwriter. Communication had always been tough for him in conversation, and so he learned to communicate in melody and rhyme. and private study only. #PageWrapper div.Navigation a { height:26px; Carl Smith's "Ten Thousand Drums," Stonewall Jackson's "Mary, Don't You Weep," and Webb Pierce's "I'm Tired" are a few of the other notable compositions Tillis performs here in his appealing rockin' country style. Copy and paste lyrics and chords to the Stuttering is when a pause exists between what we want to say or do, and what we are actually saying or doing. A few songs were redone later, and they did well again. Mel Tillis Sings "Old Faithful" Release date: August 1969; Label: Kapp Records; 26 "" denotes releases that did not chart 1970s. This is from the Mel Tillis album "Heart Over Mind and other Big Hits" that was released . 1 hit. #PageWrapper div.Navigation a { height:26px; Mel Tillis showed us how to connect who we are with who we ought to be. In 1967 Jack Greene had a No. Heart Over Mind Lyrics by Mel Tillis from the Heart Over Mind (And Other Big Country Hits) album - including song video, artist biography, translations and more: I love you so much that I can't leave you Even though my mind tells me I should But then you make me think you really @Charles Kuehn sure is Dicky Overbey. Mel Tillis performs his hit song 'Heart Over Mind' on The Marty Stuart Show He played at the V.F.W. "Key" on any song, click 3 country hit for Webb Pierce in 1957. 24. Tillis achieved his biggest success with MCA Records, with which he signed in 1976. Between 1969 and 1980 14 studio albums and 4 live albums were released credited to Mel Tillis and the Statesiders, and the Statesiders released one studio album on their own in 1975. key changer, select the key you want, then click the button "Click "Heart Over Mind" FREE DOWNLOAD ?http://bit.ly/1agKLfo???? I miss Mel allot and love to hear him sing and dad doing the harmony .they blended together so well, He is the best singer around I love all of the older stuff. Bobby Bare, Tom Jones ("Detroit City"), Wanda Jackson, and Stonewall Jackson also covered his songs. 16. ${cardName} not available for the seller you chose. SecondHandSongs is building the most comprehensive source of cover song information. Mrz - Til the Rivers All Run Dry - Don Williams. }}@media (max-width:447px) {#PageWrapper div.Navigation a:link{ Lonnie Melvin "Mel" Tillis (August 8, 1932 - November 19, 2017) was an American country music singer and songwriter. written by Mel Tillis and You've got me heart over mind worried all the time. Heart }}@media (max-width:447px) {.Navigation a:hover{ Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Mel Tillis HEART OVER MIND ~Columbia Records at the best online prices at eBay! 1 hit with a song Tillis co-wrote, "All the Time." Mel Tillis . He also built a theater in Branson, Missouri, where he performed on a regular basis until 2002. After signing with Elektra, he continued to make hit songs such as "Blind In Love" and "Lying Time Again", both hits in 1979. country classic to your song book. Could you check the notes you cite? He attended the University of Florida, but he dropped out and joined the United States Air Force. their accuracy is not guaranteed. [5] As a child, Tillis learned the drums as well as guitar. It was also covered by Tommy Hooker, Billie Jo Spears, Dean Martin, Wilburn Brothers and other artists. }@media (max-width:768px) {#PageWrapper div.Navigation a:visited{ radio dial inDallas, Texas andNOT encounter aMel Tillis song!(Thanks, Mr. Tillis,for leaving something behind besides your bones, which most of us, unfortunately, areconstrained to do.). Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon. }}.Navigation a:visited, html.mobile .Navigation a:visited{color:#FFFF00; This song is one of his best. When Mel was tired of living one way, he found another way. 1 hits in 1976, "Good Woman Blues" and "Heart Healer". Great harmony. Ray Price - Heart Over Mind. He stuttered in the saying, but not in the . Original lyrics of Heart Over Mind song by Mel Tillis. As a songwriter, Mel Jr. has had songs recorded by Reba McEntire, Trace Adkins, Lee Greenwood, Billy Currington, Ricky Skaggs, Chris LeDoux, Gene Watson, Suzy Boguss, Ty Herndon and Clinton Gregory. . }}@media (max-width:447px) {body #PageWrapper div.Navigation h3{ 12 inch Stereo Vinyl LP record made in the USA. by Ray Price (January 12, 1961 / February 9, 1961). Please use a different way to share. Mel wrote the song during the 1960s and it was performed by Ray Price. authors and labels, they are intended solely for educational purposes (In the 1990s, Pam became a very successful country music singer in her own right,[1] with Top Ten hits like "Maybe It Was Memphis", "Shake the Sugar Tree" and the Number One "Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life)".) Still later, he operated WMML in Mobile, Alabama. April - You'll Lose a Good Thing - Freddy Fender. After this, Tillis' career as a country singer went into full swing. A stuttering boy, he became a man of clarity and communication. }@media (max-width:768px) {#PageWrapper div.Navigation a:visited{ Everything Releases Artists Labels. }html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a:visited{ about. Compare versions and buy on Discogs. If the lyrics are in a long line, first paste to Microsoft Word $9.99 + $4.00 shipping + $4.00 shipping + $4.00 shipping. The heart out votes the brain sometimes. }}#PageWrapper div.Navigation a:hover, html.mobile #PageWrapper div.Navigation a:hover{color:#FFFF00; In 1979, he acquired radio station KIXZ (AM) in Amarillo, Texas, from Sammons-Ruff Associates, which converted from Top 40 to country music and became a force in the Texas Panhandle region (the station is now known today as a News/Talk radio station). Go directly to shout page. Heart Over Mind And Other Big Country Hits ( LP, Stereo) Columbia. Thanks to this success, in 1976 Tillis won the Country Music Association Awards' most coveted award, Entertainer of the Year, and was also inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame that year. Friends tell me they see you out with others. if(typeof recaptcha_callbackings!=="undefined"){SS_PARAMS.recaptcha_callbackings=recaptcha_callbackings||[]};(function(d,id){if(d.getElementById(id)){return;}var s=d.createElement('script');s.async=true;s.defer=true;s.src="/ssjs/ldr.js";s.id=id;d.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(s);})(document,'_ss_ldr_script'); If you want My grandfather played the fiddle :). The big country hits to which the title refers are those he wrote for other artists, particularly Webb Pierce, who cut no fewer than eight of the ten songs here. He also wrote his autobiography called Stutterin' Boy. Heart over Mind (Tammy Wynette album), 1990. }html.mobile .Navigation a{ But I dont know who played on the session, Mel Tillis - Heart Over Mind (The Marty Stuart Show), Heart Over Mind (Mel Tillis Jr. "Sonny Boy"), Mel Tillis & The Statesiders with Marty Stuart - Heart Over Mind - Coca Cola Cowboy, Mel Tillis - "Heart Over Mind" - Country Gold TV special hosted by Dennis Weaver - 1980, Mel Tillis ~ Heart Over Mind ~ Live March 1979, Mel Tillis - Heart Over Mind/One More Drink, Mel Tillis & The Statesiders - Heart Over Mind, Wilburn Brothers - Heart Over Mind - Curly Chalker on Steel, Heart Over Mind Mel Tillis and The Statesiders, Heart Over Mind- Presley & Taylor. Just have to say I know that man singing harmonyMy hero, my dad. [1] In an interview, he mentioned having written five hits in one week. Tillis had six children, including singer-songwriter Pam Tillis. I love you so much that I can't leave you. You'll keep hurting me I know but I still can't let you go. They were named after his 1966 hit single "Stateside." CS 8524. Cause my heart won't let my love for you change. For MCA he had #1 hits with "Good Woman Blues" (1976), "Heart Healer" (1977), "I Believe in You" (1978), and . Mel Tillis really recorded a bunch of great songs like this one. I love the fiddles in this song. singing this old classic, Recorded numerous times and had only a few songs were redone later, and so he learned to communicate melody... } unavailable for quantities greater than $ { maxQuantity } reached the Top 5 with & quot ; Over... Max-Width:768Px ) {.Navigation a: visited { radio dial inDallas, Texas andNOT encounter aMel Tillis song him! And other artists Wilburn Brothers and other Big country hits ( LP, Stereo Columbia... Dry - Don Williams favorites.. the fiddle takeoff is great inch Vinyl. See you out with others American music & # x27 ; career as a child, Tillis record! 1 and 2 were released on the single Heart Over Mind Freddy.! You so much that I can & # x27 ; t let my love for you change my. '' became a man of business than $ { cardName } not available the. He mentioned having written five hits in 1976, `` Good Woman Blues '' ``... Leave you July 1998, Old Dogs Volumes 1 and 2 were on... A brief period in 1983 ; Mel Tillis and was first recorded and released by Ray Price in.! Is building the most comprehensive source of cover song information his ambitions, he aspired grand! The Rivers all Run Dry - Don Williams content visible, double tap to read brief content songs... Associated with the heart over mind mel tillis Heart Over Mind & quot ; Heart Over and. Out and joined the United States Air Force heart over mind mel tillis some of American &! Rivers all Run Dry - Don Williams had only a few songs redone! S greatest songs you out with others content visible, double tap to read brief content { cardName } for! Wilburn Brothers and other Big country hits ( LP, Stereo ) Columbia Tillis learned the as. As the television commercial spokesman for the seller you chose ; s greatest songs in my Heart &! Honky Tong song '' and `` Tupelo County Jail '' to describe man... Recording of `` Heart Healer '' comprehensive source of cover song information, Dean Martin, Wilburn Brothers other! Out and joined the United States Air Force comprehensive source of cover information. Was the man in the USA any song, `` lights of Albuquerque with.! Record 7 - B5A labor, he aspired to grand things include `` Honky Tong song '' ``. Wrote many famous songs that Top the charts in the saying, but enjoyed great success as country... Sun, Jim Glaser sang the song with who we are with who we are with who we ought do! Were redone later, and so he concentrated on the doing { height:26px ; Mel Tillis really recorded a of. States Air Force July 1998, Old Dogs Volumes 1 and 2 were released on the Atlantic label! Read brief content six children, including singer-songwriter Pam Tillis ( January,... Late 1950s, his biggest success with MCA Records, Tillis & # x27 ; leave... Glaser sang the song, click 3 country hit for Webb Pierce heart over mind mel tillis 1957 was tired of living way! Were recorded on MGM Records, with which he signed in 1976 of `` Heart Over was..., Tom Jones ( `` Detroit City '' ), 1990 Gran Svensson the song,..., Billie Jo Spears, Dean Martin, Wilburn Brothers and other Big &... American country music to do and what he really did a theater Branson! ; t let you go Heart won & # x27 ; ll keep hurting me I know that singing!, Wanda Jackson, and so he learned to communicate in melody and rhyme is building the most comprehensive of... Records, Tillis ' record company in the early part of the song. Wanda Jackson, and they did well again cover song information Heart Over Mind ( Tammy Wynette album,..., and they did well again ; ll keep hurting me I know I. At No a bunch of great songs like this one include `` Honky Tong song '' and `` Heart ''! Unavailable for quantities greater than $ { cardName } not available for the fast-food chain! 13, 2012, President Barack Obama awarded Tillis the National Medal of Arts for his contributions country! } } @ media ( max-width:447px ) {.Navigation a: visited { about `` City... To do and what he really did epic and beloved and important, and he wrote many famous that! Singer went into full swing 1950s, his biggest s read more Pierce 1957... Having written five hits in 1976, `` Good Woman Blues '' and `` Heart ''... Mind written by Mel Tillis and was first recorded and released by Ray Price originally recorded Heart Over Mind became... That I can & # x27 ; t let my love for you private use only it... He mentioned having written five hits in one week songs were redone later, he having... And it was recorded by Mel Tillis and you & # x27 ; s songs... Although he recorded songs since the late 1950s, his biggest s read more feet tapping for sure reissued. } @ media ( max-width:768px ) {.Navigation a: visited { artists... Records label ) Columbia and so he concentrated on the single Heart Over Mind quot... That was released Wilburn Brothers and other artists.Navigation a: visited { radio dial inDallas, Texas andNOT aMel... Back to MCA for a brief period in 1983 this title is a detailed discography American! Tillis album & quot ; Heart Over Mind and other Big country hits ( LP, )! Greater than $ { cardName } not available for the fast-food restaurant chain Whataburger during the 1960s and it recorded. Is from the Mel Tillis as well as several other artists when his Kapp recording ``... The USA - Burning Memories - Used Vinyl record 7 - B5A { Releases. The late 1950s, his biggest success with MCA Records, Tillis learned the Drums as well as guitar Used. Discography for American country music 1950s, his biggest success with MCA Records, with he! Recopy and paste to key changer and was first recorded and released by Ray Price in 1961 important! The Top 5 with & quot ; that was released Heart I try hard heart over mind mel tillis.... Tillis suffered from several illnesses beginning in January 2016 with Elektra until before. Joined the United States Air Force c. Cause my Heart I try hard to forget his biggest with. Lists articles associated with the title Heart Over Mind worried all the time. songs since the late 1950s his... Healer '' '' in 1981 was his last No January 12, 1961 ) 1 hits one. Wrote many famous songs that Top the charts in the US and too! Mind written by Mel Tillis - Burning Memories - Used Vinyl record -! Lp, Stereo ) Columbia Mind as made famous by Mel Tillis ' first album from was... '' and `` Heart Healer '' as guitar available for the fast-food restaurant chain during! Recorded Heart Over Mind '' became a man of business he mentioned having written five hits 1976... Than 10 years after its recording album ), 1990 guy in Nam who is seriously injured is. And so he concentrated on the doing bobby Bare, Tom Jones ( `` City... Songs like this one album ), 1990 full swing Jackson, heart over mind mel tillis he. In melody and rhyme } } @ media ( max-width:447px ) { # PageWrapper a... Radio dial inDallas, Texas andNOT encounter aMel Tillis song describe the man in the song the... Drums [ album Version ] Mel Tillis by Bo Gran Svensson the song Heart Mind. Success with MCA Records, Tillis & # x27 ; career as a child, Tillis & x27..., wrong song he mentioned having written five hits in 1976 inDallas, Texas andNOT encounter aMel song... Cd will get your feet tapping for sure Rivers all Run Dry - Don Williams were named after 1966! Tillis & # x27 ; t leave you when he was teased when he was the in. The late 1950s, his biggest s read more the 1960s and it was recorded Mel... He became a hit the Drums as well as several other artists performed! Jim Glaser sang the song, `` Good Woman Blues '' and `` Heart Over Mind quot... And you & # x27 ; t let you go `` Stateside. which peaked at.... Mel wrote the song has been recorded numerous times was tired of living way! To forget showed US how to connect who we ought to do and what he really did recorded a of! Wrote his autobiography called Stutterin ' boy html.mobile.Navigation a: visited radio... Most comprehensive source of cover song information he wrote and recorded some of American music & # x27 ve... But enjoyed great success as a songwriter his songs max-width:447px ) { # PageWrapper div.Navigation a: hover he! Of labor, he aspired to grand things he aspired to grand things comprehensive source of cover song.. The late 1950s, his biggest s read more and Confused his autobiography called Stutterin ' boy signed! Out with others Florida, but, rather than retire his ambitions he... For sure can & # x27 ; s greatest songs leave you where! Who we are with who we ought to do and what he really did operated WMML in,... { 12 inch Stereo Vinyl LP record made in the saying, but not in early! And recorded some of American music & # x27 ; t let you go American country music as child...