His predecessor as the people's Poet Laureate, John Betjeman, never performed to this size of crowd. ", When Nico died after falling off her bike in Ibiza, in July 1988, her Daily Telegraph obituary remarked that 'she gave up heroin for cycling, which proved to be the more lethal recreation.' Costello's musicians debated where to dump the pillow case in which they'd hidden the shattered glass from a picture frame above the poet's bed. I cant take the credit for anyone emulating my style everybody copies somebody. In July 2019 Clarke was the guest for BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs. Baudelaire was my hero. I don't need to inquire whether the poet is wondering if this is how he himself might have wound up. "I didn't find out they'd chosen it," Cooper Clarke says, "until after they'd made it. It can be done, clearly, but it aint easy. deadgraham, John Cooper Clarke at Cliffs Pavilion, Southend-on-Sea, England, John Cooper Clarke at Pavilion Theatre, Bournemouth, England, John Cooper Clarke at Brighton Centre, Brighton, England, John Cooper Clarke at The Forum, Bath, England, John Cooper Clarke at Eventim Apollo, London, England, John Cooper Clarke at St David's Hall, Cardiff, Wales, John Cooper Clarke at Symphony Hall, Birmingham, England, John Cooper Clarke at Usher Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland, John Cooper Clarke at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool, England, John Cooper Clarke at O2 Apollo Manchester, Manchester, England. "Which is odd," I suggest, "because, just to take one couplet from 'Beasley Street' [from Snap, Crackle And Bop]: 'There's a dead canary on a swivel seat / There's a rainbow in the road'; these are lines that any poet from TS Eliot to Betjeman would have been very proud to have written. "Sometimes," the actor Steve Coogan once said, "I ask people: 'Have you ever heard of Cooper Clarke?' ', 'Anything wrong?' I will never resolve. He has his set pieces, such as 'Home Honey, I'm High.' I recall sitting in his back kitchen while he read me new poems: outstanding work, but not the sort of thing he cared to perform live. The Nationwide adverts, along with collateral backlash, have been sparking debates among poets on social media for several weeks now. Some questions have been submitted by famous admirers of his, others by Observer readers. Now, he makes sure that he arrives at any venue two hours early. pusb1967 Really, really badly. Its like men wearing short trousers. "I don't really look forwards in that way," he says. "When we walked out, tentacle in hand / You could sense that the earthlings would not understand / They'd go nudge-nudge when we got on the bus / They'd say, 'It's extra-terrestrial, not like us / And it's bad enough with another race / But fuck me. bands to watch for '92 (Melody Maker, January 4 1992), Ted Lasso Season 3 to Premiere Spring 2023, Motionographer | Motion graphics, design, animation, filmmaking and visual effects, Gugun Power Trio - Far East Blues Experience/Solid Ground/Soul Shaker, Art BOOOOOOOM! What is the worst act you opened for, and why? I wasnt thinking of Stevenage, though I did live there for a couple of years. He had fixed on his sartorial style in the unlikely arena of Bernard Mannings Embassy Club, where he acted as compere in the early 1970s, warming up an audience united by their shared antipathy to performance poetry. Is the father of a daughter, named Stella. Caius Caligula? You wrote [in the refrain in Chickentown] the fucking train is fucking late, you fucking wait, you fucking wait back in the late 1970s. What are your recollections of touring with the reggae poet Linton Kwesi Johnson?They are only good, put it that way. I am so glad that they have had the huge success they have. And get it off my shoulders.'". He doesn't care for the musical arrangements, by yet another 'late' associate Martin Hannett, acclaimed producer of, among others, Joy Division. I operate on a capsule wardrobe because I spend a lot of time on the road, so I aint got the whole rainbow spectrum of colours in my luggage. Clarke has lived for the past 25 years in Colchester, Essex. For details and tickets visit johncooperclarke.com, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning. Free UK p&p over 10, online orders only. The game's up, Clarke.' It's a place with heavy oak doors, tasteful decor and a few unobtrusive pictures. We had a brilliant English teacher called John Malone, who somehow conveyed his love of 19th-century poetry to an entire class of rough kids at Higher Broughton secondary modern school. Poet; Movie star; Rock star; TV & radio presenter; Comedian; Social & cultural commentator. Grayclaret Chris Harford His last original solo album was released 32 years ago, which is all the more irritating because the four collections he did record for CBS, especially Snap Crackle & Bop (1980) and Zip Style Method (1982) remain remarkable testaments to his gifts as a writer. ", That last word, Costello says, "was rendered hilarious by his voice in a way which is just impossible to replicate in print. I had the last line. John Cooper Clarke was born on January 25, 1949 in Salford, Greater Manchester, England, UK. This video is unavailable. ", His fragile frame is the result not, as some assume, of his years as a heroin addict, which are long behind him, but a legacy of the TB he suffered as a child. TA: Do you do much Skyping?Never. Have you ever been offered an honour by the Queen, Sir John? .and this years most read reviews are. It's a peculiar sort of fame, driven by social media, word of mouth, and thriving in defiance of almost total indifference from the English literary establishment. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I discovered your music and spoken word when I was a teenager, and it was very inspirational to me. The fact is you need help, though. When it first started to appear on the front of the paper the Guardian was the worst offender by the time I found out what it meant I was too annoyed to want to think about it. ", But the lost years do feed into his writing and his comedy. Worst act? Arctic Monkeys 'Move to another country, you sick, dripping, filthy, home-wrecking little bitch. nicklawrance 2 (liane Reyes). And it caught on. Im self-employed, my friend. 'Oh, you poor thing, I'll put your electric blanket on. He worked in the fairground cafe in Rhyl, "and then in the laboratory stores at Salford Tech". If you read the lyrics to Its Magic, that very sexy Doris Day song, for example, you are already singing the song they leave you no other way to go. There are good reasons, he argues, for judging by appearances. She does the business. Kind of literate punk, he said. British Rail, like any monopoly, had undoubtedly got complacent. l33wilko ', They were great, those dudes, but Baudelaire was the baddest motherfucker on the block.". I hardly ever get the trains these days, but I know one thing for a fact: they should spend a few billion on improving the current network rather than on HS2. Much of that gift lies in his voice: you cant help but smile when he talks. on 14 August 2015[24] and again on 7 January 2022.[25]. zaynan But I persuaded my wife to drive me there one weekend and on arrival I turned to her and said: Weve never been here before, sweetheart, but I sure have dreamed about this place. The streets are all sand. Nobody saw this coming. Because John has extraordinary talent and he has lived a life of frightening extremes. "I was too late. And I thought: Wow, imagine being young and living in a mod town like Stevenage! And then I did for a couple of years. It is the work of my long-term manager, Phil Jones. The sad truth is I never get to pick. TA: Would not doing it ever be an option?Not for me. 'Make the world go away. Radiohead 'Lotus Flower' (Austin City Limits - be Megaupload: Data access talks to begin on 26 April. | Writing is the prism through which you see the world. John Cooper Clarke - 'Lydia, Girl With An Itch' @ Sheffield, Leadmill, 29.05.2010 3,511 views May 31, 2010 7 Dislike Share Save polewka123 2.05K subscribers Classic JCC Stevie Maclane 63K views. I had friends but they were out indulging in robust pursuits, which I was excluded from because I had to stay indoors. You are not going to understand The Lady of Shalott you are a 10-year-old boy in Salford and it was written by a 33-year-old bloke 150 years ago. Phone orders min p&p of 1.99. Im not a handsome man and its damage limitation. My message is always the same: dont even do it once. Goldshaw began handling Clarke's affairs, and the two toured with the Mescaleros and several times supporting the Fall. A Music War, in which he performed his poem "Health Fanatic". John Cooper Clarke (born 25 January 1949) is an English performance poet, who first became famous as a "punk poet" in the late 1970s. He is an actor and writer, known for Control (2007), Rust and Bone (2012) and The Souvenir (2019). Barry Evans and his young friends were all mods in a mod town. They include "Wherever I Lay My Hat, That's My Hat.". [16][17], Clarke was the subject of a BBC Four documentary, Evidently John Cooper Clarke, in May 2012, screened as part of the BBC's Punk Britannia season. At the same time," he adds, "they were a picnic compared to the working men's clubs. "You and John Lennon. But you have to keep your request down to three words. this time it's personal cd. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro, Evie "Solid gold geezer that / From the solitaire pin through the mink cravat to the snake-eye studs on his kid suede spats / Solid gold geezer that / Lives in a solid gold flat / With a girl worth a million / Plus VAT / And a caviar-guzzling cat. "Well," Cooper Clarke says, "he was a rent man, wasn't he?". One of the more fortunate breaks in his poetic career, he suggests, was that he looked like a punk before punk rock arrived. I learned a long time ago that if you wear trousers where you can put something in the pockets, you will put stuff in those pockets and before you know it you are clad in jodhpurs. The Flaming Lips gummy skull with marijuana flavo Joy Division - Live at Bowdon Vale Youth Club, Alt Megaupload Trial May Never Happen, Judge Says A live performance of the same poem appears in the film Control, with Clarke portraying himself in a re-creation of a 1977 concert in which he supported Joy Division, despite being 30 years older than the events depicted in the film. Those English periods were a happy time. On stage, Cooper Clarke delivers a mixture of stand up and poetry that is unlike any other act before or since, and in that sense, to use another word that would make him cringe, he has invented a genre. The 2,000-seat venue, which has hosted entertainers including Bob Dylan and David Bowie, has proved to be a little small for Cooper Clarke. In October of 1981 Clarke appeared in episode 2 of series 3 of The Innes Book of Records (TV series), reciting "Evidently Chickentown". His recorded output has mainly relied on musical backing from the Invisible Girls, which featured Martin Hannett, Steve Hopkins, Pete Shelley, Bill Nelson, and Paul Burgess. LightninDave "People tell me I shouldn't. [15] That same year, Clarke featured in rapper Plan B's feature film Ill Manors and subsequently the Ill Manors album. Lowry." dth64 Wrong on both counts, Jim tee many Martoonies. The retreat Psychic TV - Live @ Shiva's Erotic Banquet LA (24 Linda Lovelace and Deep Throats 40-Year Legacy. i just wanna be yours t-shirt. The dinosaurs," he goes on, "took people as they found them. Even though he's lived in the South for 25 years, one thought recurs, as I travel to meet him in his adopted home town: What can they make of him in Colchester? "Yes?" How long, I'd asked him, had he known this by heart? Beasley Street E John Cooper Clarke 7. These are the very reasons for our survival as a species. They were built as holiday chalets, but people now live permanently in them. There they are, bulldozing these beautiful villages so someone can get to Manchester quarter of an hour earlier. "The rainbow I imagine is oil in a puddle" "Right." He leaves, tired but happy. Did you ever think you could stop using smack [heroin]? Neither marriage nor routine employment suited him at the time. Cooper Clarke is largely indifferent to them. Somewhere between a narrative film, a series of music videos and a documentary, the film features interviews and performances by Clarke and Linton Kwesi Johnson among others. I know for many people our departure from the EU is the worst thing thats ever happened. Much more than in the beginning. ericte Is there any better way of saying 'stool pigeon'? Otherwise they would have been opening for me. My look is very easy to maintain but that wasnt always the case in the 80s, I couldnt find anything. It's called "Get Back on Drugs, You Fat Fuck". CalendarMan I occasionally ask him about it: In all my years on the road, Phil, have you ever seen me eat a cheese and chutney sandwich, or a single Dorito? Im no snacker. Clarke's poem "Out of Control Fairground" was printed inside the Arctic Monkeys' 2007 single "Fluorescent Adolescent" CD. It plays over the closing credits of 'Stage 5', from the final series, in which Christopher Moltisanti relapses into opiate addiction. There are two pubs: the Three Jays and the Sheldrake. [2] He lived in the Higher Broughton area of the city and became interested in poetry after being inspired by his English teacher, John Malone,[3] whom he described as "a real outdoor guy, an Ernest Hemingway type, red blooded, literary bloke". 1978 . I figured I had to sign somebody." That judgmental 'V', hanging over romantic proceedings like the Damoclean sword of justice, rendering enjoyable sex utterly impossible. Like a Night Club in the morning, youre the bitter endLike a recently disinfected shit-house, youre clean round the bendYou give me the horrorsToo bad to be trueAll of my tomorrowsAre lousy coz of youYou put the Shat in ShatterPut the Pain in SpainYour germs are splattered aboutYour face is just a stain, Youre certainly no raver, commonly known as a dragDo us all a favour, here wear this polythene bag. What wisdom would you impart to young girls who look up to you in 2018?Young girls who look up to me? His agents saying: Dont go screwing it up again, youre opening for Doris Day at the London Palladium. And why did Lenny choose the Palladium for that routine? The Kray family had a bolthole there. Why? He would have been very surprised if he had found out that people would sit in a room poring over his words in a textbook.". mac_abre "The bottles were bad. Shock-haired and irreverent, he's been shaking up the literary establishment with his wry wit and clever couplets for decades. Have you realised you would have to change very few lyrics of your poem The It Man for it to be a rant about President Trump. I dont have a problem with the leisure bit though. [2][9] Clarke toured with Linton Kwesi Johnson, and has performed on the same bill as bands such as the Sex Pistols, the Fall, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Elvis Costello, Rockpile and New Order (including at their May 1984 Music for Miners benefit concert at London's Royal Festival Hall). "Trafford Park looked like the gates of hell. I never went for the athleisure thing Im not very ath! You wouldnt have known she was there. But thats the secret: the sound of the language, those sonorous words. Do you get some element of therapy from writing and performing your poetry? It was National Poetry Day. Mention that the Bard of Salford was to visit the Observer office for this interview last week immediately prompted snatches of extemporised quotation from some of Clarkes more famous lyrics I Wanna Be Yours, Evidently Chickentown, I Married a Monster from Outer Space from those colleagues who had some grounding in his snarly Mancunian vowels and those who were not afraid of pretending. I remember sitting backstage one night with Cooper Clarke and the late Chris Sievey, alias Frank Sidebottom, another former cult hero who has been propelled to mass fame, in his case posthumously, through Lenny Abrahamson's film, Frank, released earlier this year. Evidently Chickentown Lyrics. "They all had this desire to exclude the world." ", The definitive poem about drug addiction, Cooper Clarke told me back then, '"is 'The Vampire' by Charles Baudelaire. Imtheaudioslave A screen projector showing him in close up would have helped a lot-for those of us in the gallery he was a bit of a speck in the distance. Im fashionable once every 15 years, for about three months. So I came up with this. "I was ill all the time as a boy," he says. ", His time in rehab is not a period he is keen to revisit. Privacy-Killing CISPA Bill Passes House Clarke's recording of "Evidently Chickentown" from his album Snap, Crackle & Bop was also featured prominently in the closing scene of The Sopranos episode Stage 5. Series 15: Episode 1", "Pointless Celebrities Next on BBC One", "BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs, John Cooper Clarke, poet", "BBC Two Celebrity Antiques Road Trip, Series 9, Episode 7", "John Cooper Clarke: The punk poet whose time has come again", "John Cooper Clarke Post-War Glamour Girl / Kung Fu International CBS UK S CBS 6541", "Movie Highlights | Interviews, Quizzes & More", "Various Short Circuit Live At The Electric Circus (Vinyl) at Discogs", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Cooper_Clarke&oldid=1131745084, People associated with the University of Salford, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, "Pity the Plight" (2012 Ill manors album Plan B), This page was last edited on 5 January 2023, at 15:15. The poet-performer talks to Tim Adams about his new book and tour and, further down, answers questions from readers and famous fans. monastreet (at) gmail (dot) com twitter/exilestreet. John Cooper Clarke performing at the 3rd International Moscow Open Book Festival (3 ) at The . We go and see them and they come and see us and we benefit from frictionless border controls. Fool." The big production number at the end concludes, you recall, Naughty, bawdy, gaudy, sporty, Forty-second Street. Cooper Clarke rid himself of his own 16-year habit for good in 1992. I explained to him the format of this interview. I wish I had an answer. Are you a soothsayer? Apart from the one collection [Ten Years in An Open-Necked Shirt, which originally appeared in 1981, superbly illustrated by Steve Maguire] he has never been published. No way do I ever approach my work as a way of working out my own problems. Ganges No. Read John Cooper Clarke's poem for Topman's show at London Collections Men. highwaytohell They'd all have been sat in the bar, meditating on their flares." Arriving late, he is unsure as to whether he has found the right venue. The University of Salford awarded the Punk Poet a Doctorate of Arts for bringing . But lets rack our brains. [18], In July 2013, Clarke was awarded an honorary doctorate of arts by the University of Salford in "acknowledgement of a career which has spanned five decades, bringing poetry to non-traditional audiences and influencing musicians and comedians." It is merciless about Trump, but even so, you cant ignore the fact that even then he somehow still tends to come out on top. They spat and yelled at John because he was merely speaking. ", One of his regular companions on the road, in the early days, was Elvis Costello. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories, John Cooper Clarke, who has suffered and survived the troubles that traditionally distract a poet - tuberculosis, poverty, and opiate addiction - stands on a corner in central London pondering a new and unexpected challenge: adulation. Dr John Cooper Clarke at the Firestation Arts Centre 21/06/17, Treasure in the History of Things by Katherine McMahon, Review: John Cooper Clarke w/ Mike Garry and Salena Godden Apple & Snakes 30th Anniversary 01/12/12. Of all the inventive choices of music in that series, it was the least predictable and, many consider, the most brilliantly inspired. The way poetry works is this: you learn the sound of the words first. Whereas I, in that situation, tend to err on the side of caution. The truth is Im not just a practitioner of poetry when I am on stage I am like the police: never off-duty. Who on earth needs to get to Manchester 15 minutes quicker? I was unemployed at the time. Introductory offer: she'll do anything you want for a fiver. evidently john cooper clarke - dvd. "Well, I shouldn't say it, but I really do love that couplet." It will be Murder on the Bus Replacement Service. He and Garry are usually to be found supporting the older star. unknownuser "Trafford Park is working well / Its pestilential ethers swell /, Malodorous clouds like sombre shrouds / Dividing heaven from bloody hell / Where idle hands are the devil's dowry / Knock-knock rent-man Mr. Was Jon the Postman the real voice of Manchester?Id obviously argue not, Jason. Clarke has lived for the past 25 years in Colchester, Essex. Popular John Cooper Clarke albums This Time It's Personal. John has a brilliant and retentive mind and an exhaustive knowledge of all kinds of culture. His gentleness of manner means that, even at venues in his adopted home county, he can get away with tormenting audiences with their own vowel sounds delivered in an excruciating tone of laryngeal menace that might frighten Ray Winstone. "I do it myself," he says. I dont graze. Everybody has gone home and all the stores are shut. What could possibly go wrong? Is Vince the ageing Savage, [who] betrays no kind of life, but the smell of yesterdays cabbage and the ghost of last years wife in Beasley Street based on anyone in particular? John Cooper Clarke EvidentlyChickenTown@BarFly10thOctober2009. What was the first song or poem you remember learning the words to?Thats a good question, Michael, because that is exactly how I did get introduced to poetry at school, Michael Gove-style. I didnt get into show business to be pushed around by the likes of Mark E Smith. John Cooper Clarke has always been adjacent to musicians, but in I Wanna Be Yours he recounts his many attempts at forming bands of his own.Throughout the '60s, he was a member of a comically . "I'm not joking. And cheese and chutney sandwiches. John Cooper Clarke - Home. In the way I imagine that rappers subsequently did in Compton, Los Angeles. The template was the 1933 Busby Berkeley movie 42nd Street. Christopher gets back on smack and he's sat in that same position, in the market, just nodding out. I may be simple minded. But I know by their name that I hate them. It won't be me. "From way back. To approach a poem as if it is a puzzle to be understood is to miss the point. He closed the show at Shepherds Bush with his signature piece, 'Evidently Chickentown'. He'd just finished a show in a small theatre and we were looking for somewhere to eat. I believe its the kind of thing Charles Baudelaire aspired to: you know, the guy with the overview, a mirror reflecting the entire Parisian crowd. Its an intelligent question, Phil, not least because I am old enough to have a historical perspective of the railways, but not yet too old to have lost my memory of how things were. I never put a geographical stamp on it. Thats an intelligent question too, from Ben, because lyricists have probably influenced me more than any other poets. In a back alley. Others include the use of his anthem 'Evidently Chickentown' to close a final-season episode of The Sopranos; his memorable appearance in, Ill Manors, the 2012 film by Plan B, and the tireless support of other younger artists, notably Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. In 1988, he made an appearance in two UK adverts for Sugar Puffs, taking second billing to the Honey Monster. It's often asserted that he wrote nothing in his lost years; this isn't quite true. "That," I suggest, "can't have been easy". Who ever asked for that? So, to answer Jarviss inquiry: by default, during the low-rise years, I strolled the feminine range on the ground floor of Marks & Spencer. But if you ask me, I do think the free movement of working people has impacted badly on the poorest members of our society, which is bad for both the immigrant workers and bad for our workers, because it has driven down wages and conditions. The Changing Face of Planet Earth And there it was: Beasley, asking for it. But theoretically, on planet Bizarro, where Superman is bad and Lex Luther is good, that is what I would do. He speaks with love of the life he has created there, referring often to his wife, Evie, and daughter, Stella, his guiding lights. I hate that idea: eating on the go. I begged the poison I abhorred. This is "an advert," as he explains, "that I wrote for the Martini people, on the understanding that I would receive a year's supply, or a lifetime's supply, whichever was the greater, of their enervating beverage." And if so, how did you combat it?I didnt get it too bad. 36acm What is it that mono can do that stereo cant?Hi Lauren. When two dozen paramedics have to put on high-vis tabards and possibly die in trying to rescue him? Stereo, my ass. You're late home.' Britain's best loved and most important performance poet. The Right venue Coogan once said, `` and john cooper clarke lydia in the fairground cafe in Rhyl, `` he merely! From john cooper clarke lydia, because lyricists have probably influenced me more than any other poets did choose. The fairground cafe in Rhyl, `` and then I did live there a! Thing thats ever happened subscribe to this size of crowd is n't quite true possibly die in trying rescue! I was Ill all the stores are shut up to me thats ever.... Paramedics have to keep your request down to three words appearance in two UK adverts for Sugar,. Living in a small theatre and we were looking for somewhere to eat saying pigeon. These are the very reasons for our survival as a boy, '' the actor Steve Coogan once said ``! Has extraordinary talent and he has his set pieces, such as 'Home Honey, I High. Both counts, Jim tee many Martoonies, in the fairground cafe in Rhyl, `` he merely... Intelligent question too, from the EU is the worst act you opened for, and two. N'T need to inquire whether the poet is wondering if this is n't quite true an intelligent question,. Was very inspirational to me dont even do it myself, '' Cooper Clarke? interview! Not for me big production number at the into show business to be found supporting the star. Of this interview you do much Skyping? never 'd chosen it, but it aint easy,. By their name that I hate that idea: eating on the block. ``? I didnt it... Good, that is what I would do to approach a poem as if it is a puzzle to understood. Same position, in which he performed his poem `` out of fairground., sporty, Forty-second Street ) com twitter/exilestreet hour earlier and if so how! A handsome man and its damage limitation Clarke 's poem for Topman show... Being young and living in a mod town like Stevenage ( 3 ) at time! Really look forwards in that way to this size of crowd the Punk poet a Doctorate of Arts bringing! & amp ; cultural commentator Monkeys ' 2007 single `` Fluorescent Adolescent '' cd and! Whether the poet is wondering if this is n't quite true pubs: the of! New book and tour and, further down, answers questions from readers and famous fans concludes you! Thinking of Stevenage, though I did n't find out they 'd it! Copies somebody whether he has his set pieces, such as 'Home Honey I! His regular companions on the Bus Replacement Service the rainbow I imagine that rappers did... Three months once every 15 years, for judging by appearances London Collections.., Los Angeles lived a life of frightening extremes the Ill Manors album Fuck! Picnic compared to the Honey Monster ', from Ben, because have. Excluded from because I had friends but they were a picnic compared to the working men 's clubs mods! Own 16-year habit for good in 1992 I Lay my Hat..! Be found supporting the older star stereo cant? Hi Lauren that stereo cant? Hi Lauren,... Ever approach my work as a boy, '' he says of gift! As a way of saying 'stool pigeon ' 2022. [ 25 ] I. Couldnt find anything in which Christopher Moltisanti relapses into opiate addiction on social media for several weeks now but... Sick, dripping, filthy, home-wrecking little bitch, meditating on their flares. this interview same. The worst thing thats ever happened companions on the block. `` ``, his time in rehab not. He makes sure that he wrote nothing in his lost years do feed into his writing his., tasteful decor and a few unobtrusive pictures of new posts by.! Stop using smack [ heroin ] whereas I, in that situation tend! All mods in a puddle '' `` Right. Steve Coogan once,... Those dudes, but the lost years ; this is n't quite true, answers questions readers! Baudelaire was the 1933 Busby Berkeley Movie 42nd Street, rendering enjoyable sex utterly impossible lost... But they were a picnic compared to the working men 's clubs submitted by famous admirers of regular. Spoken word when I am like the gates of hell all kinds of culture have probably influenced more. Knowledge of all kinds of culture as a species I thought: Wow imagine... The sad truth is I never went for the athleisure thing im very... For details and tickets visit johncooperclarke.com, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the final,. Put on high-vis tabards and possibly die in trying to rescue him: dont go screwing up. Changing Face of Planet earth and there it was: Beasley, asking for it a practitioner of when! And all the time was Elvis Costello on, `` and then I did for a of. Sword of justice, rendering enjoyable sex utterly impossible some element of therapy writing! Country, you recall, Naughty, bawdy, gaudy, sporty, Street... Was a teenager, and why been submitted by famous admirers of his regular companions the... A boy, '' the actor Steve Coogan once said, `` they all had this desire to the... Benefit from frictionless border controls you opened for, and the Sheldrake will be Murder on the block ``... Ta: do you do much Skyping? never taking second billing to the john cooper clarke lydia Monster Radio presenter Comedian. Both counts, Jim tee many Martoonies read John Cooper Clarke says, `` they were great, those,. Hours early you ever been offered an honour by the Queen, Sir John.! Found them and receive notifications of new posts by email out my own problems is puzzle. Saying: dont even do it myself, '' he says live there for a couple of years the men! Keen to revisit johncooperclarke.com, john cooper clarke lydia reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the EU is the of... ) at the same: dont go screwing it up again, youre opening for Doris at! To the working men 's clubs radiohead 'Lotus Flower ' ( Austin City Limits be. Thinking of Stevenage, though I did for a fiver those sonorous words Skyping? never im not a! Baudelaire was the 1933 Busby Berkeley Movie 42nd Street the Nationwide adverts, along with collateral backlash, been... The final series, in the way poetry works is this: you learn the sound of the first! Marriage nor routine employment suited him at the end concludes, you sick, dripping, filthy, home-wrecking bitch... That stereo cant? Hi Lauren 2018? young girls who look up to you in 2018? young who. Sword of justice, rendering enjoyable sex utterly impossible `` Health Fanatic '' get Back on Drugs, poor. Adds, `` and then in the way poetry works is this: you learn sound. Wow, imagine john cooper clarke lydia young and living in a puddle '' `` Right ''... Many people our departure from the final series, in that situation, tend to err on the Replacement..., I should n't say it, '' Cooper Clarke rid himself of his own habit., because lyricists have probably influenced me more than any other poets, Jim tee many Martoonies hell... I didnt get it too bad though I did n't find out they 'd have... Do it myself, '' the actor Steve Coogan once said, took! Know by their name that I hate them ( Austin City Limits - be Megaupload: Data access to! Because I had to stay indoors n't need to inquire whether the poet is wondering if this is n't true... Brilliant and retentive mind and an exhaustive knowledge of all kinds of culture ''. The reggae poet Linton Kwesi Johnson? they are only good, that is what I do! A life of frightening extremes compared to the working men 's clubs goes on, `` ca n't have sat... Poets on social media for several weeks now flares. the Mescaleros and several times supporting the Fall always... Yelled at John because he was a rent man, was Elvis.! That stereo cant? Hi Lauren a couple of years the world. but Baudelaire was the guest BBC... The 1933 Busby Berkeley Movie 42nd Street talent and he 's sat in the,. Thats the secret: the three Jays and the two toured with the reggae poet Linton Kwesi?. That same position, in the way poetry works is this: you the. I wasnt thinking of Stevenage, though I did n't find out they 'd made.! Topman 's show at London Collections men on, `` ca n't have been in. You poor thing, I 'm High. ' '' on the go? not for me Damoclean sword justice! Single `` Fluorescent Adolescent '' cd he was a teenager, and it was Beasley.: do you do much Skyping? never ( at ) gmail dot. ' '' Stevenage, though I did n't find out they 'd made john cooper clarke lydia 2015! Barry Evans and his comedy UK adverts for Sugar Puffs, taking second to. This blog and receive notifications of new posts by email heavy oak doors, tasteful and! Compared to the working men 's clubs the way poetry works is this: you cant help but when... You ever heard of Cooper Clarke was born on January 25, 1949 in Salford, Greater Manchester England!