Other New Jersey shark fossils include vertebrae, placoid scales, cartilage, fin spines, claspers, and coprolites. Alternatively, you can use a snorkel and mask to scan the rivers for shark teeth. State Hwy. Location: Liverpool, New York. Plants-leaves,fruits,flowers-Mabelia,Nuhliantha,Microaltingia,Perseanthus, South River, N. J. vertebrates-fish-Semionotiformes,Redfieldiidae;Palaeoniscidae-Diplurus, Catopterusand/Dictyopyge,both genera in Redfieldiidae, reported, but nomenclature is ?. I used a US Dime to show scale. I try and look for bends, and if I see gravel built up on the other side of the bend, I look through it. In thin dark shale beds below second Watchung basalt layer. is an extinct train station in Highlands, NJ. plants,leaves(Tabulated:24 taxa),insecta,amber,charcoal, Gastropods-Turritella;Bivalves-Anomia,Plicatula,Leptosolen?,Aphrodina,Martesia, Per the January 97 Scientific American,the Amber site in NJ was found by Jerry Case & Ornithological Summary I've been there about a dozen times myself- never -really- had a great day- and this is my approach: make/get a sifter with large screen size if you want big goodies. invertebrates-bivalves-Ostrea,Anomia,Amusium,Mytilus,Modiola,Pteria, In town park in Big Brook -- Sieving fossils allowed,no digging, Willow Brook -- Case Site 1 - Schatzel Property. Based on the microfossils (unpublished DGS . Shark River Park muti-use trails in New Jersey are color coded for easy navigation and perfect for a family mountain bike ride. Keep looking and You will find some really good things, quit looking and You will find nothing. There may be errors in the list. LatLon is what might have been a quarry few km E of Round Top Road, On left side of Willow Rd on path behind farm gate & up a dirt road in abandoned quarry. Lat Lon is ~1200m N in excavated area that might be old marl pit W of junction of 49 & 635, vertebrates-Reptilia-turtles-Procolpochelys. Revolutionary soldiers gave the nickname of Hogs Pond to the area as wild hogs roamed freely throughout the woods near the salt works there. The Shark River is a river in eastern New Jersey that rises in eastern Monmouth County and flows southeast for 11.7 miles (18.8km),[1] continuing through Neptune Township and Wall Township. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. When a tooth is lost or broken during feeding it is eventually replaced with the one behind it in about a week. Exit 4a I280W S on Eisenhower pkwy. vertebrates-fish-sharks-teeth-Cretolamna,Ischyrhiza,Plicatolamna, sponges,Crustacea-Hoploparia,Protocallianassa,Pycnodontidae, Upper Hop Brook. marine formations. St. Mary's River. Invertebrates,sharks-teeth-Carcharhinus,Cretolamna,Striatolamia, Sohl & Koch OFR # 472 (= Water Witch Station; USGS # 16277) -- presumably this It all sounds right to Me, sometimes it just takes persistence and determination. Noted below. Shark River Park. Other locations throughout the state also offer good hunting grounds for fossil collectors. This section defines the commonality terms used on this website. vertebrates-fish-sharks-Rhombodus,Brachyrhizodus,Ischyodus,Hybodus, vertebrates-turtles;Crocodylidae-Hyposaurus, Cretaceous brachiopods in Crosswicks Creek. I did find a nice shell imprinted fossil but no teeth or anything else. My big sifter is 1/2 inch hardware cloth screen and to be honest I think I might want to make one even bigger. Great site, sections on NJ. Zaphrentis,Stropheodonta,Schizophoria,Amphigenia,Spirifer,Cyrtina,Pterinea, An American Geological Railway Guide p143, 2 km S of Green Pond Mt. locality was flooded by a reservoir. Shark Vertebra: This is likely from the spine of a shark, who have circular vertebrae. shark was swept up river and perished. About 400m to cliffs, Sohl & Koch OFR # 480 (Beers Hill; USGS # 31176:28868). It makes the tooth highly resistant to wear during life and to stream action after fossilization. '), Woodbridge, N. J. 1.7km. Portions of this park will be open for deer hunting during the 2022/ . . 2000. Facebook/Big Brook Park. I can't remember their names. Bivalves-Agerostrea,Gryphaea,Dianchora,Pycnodonte,Exogyra,Anomia,Trigonia? Virginia State Parks. The body of the shark almost never fossilizes because it is made out of a cartilaginous skeleton. Common: Expect to find 1-2 of these on an average trip. Fossils of reptiles, mammals and shark teeth and other fish remains can be found along its banks. This is an awesome spot to take kids (and any amateur fossil hunters) with an in. Possibly Atlantic Highlands or Highland Park, Original says 'Martisburg'. Occasional trilobites in limestone, in thin dark shale beds below second Watchung basalt layer, At Milepost 117 on NJ206 1km N of Cnty Rd 519, graptolites-Climacograptus;Trilobites-Cryptolithus;Plectorthis, At a water treatment plant -- permission required. Turn left onto Schoolhouse Rd. Downstream from Mt Holly-Freehold Rd @ fishing access, Invertebrates sharks-teeth;Scapanorhynchus etc in bluffs along Sandy Hook Bay, Long overgrown walk from parking. I am finding teeth, so I believe I am. Reptile_tracks were fairly abundant here, plants-Brachyphyllum,conifers,ferns-Clathropteris,Corollina;Reptilia-, W of junction of NJ23 & NJ46 along Horsehead Rd N of I80, On NJ23 in 10m high road cut in folded rocks near Jct with NJ513, SE Along Clove Rd near junction with NJ23, Strictly speaking,Port Jervis is in New York a few km of this locality, At traprock quarry (known variously as Little Ferry, UBC, R.H.Hamilton, Dell Materials I have been collecting fossils in New Jersey since I was a little kid. on NW corner of Valley Brook Ave & Polito Ave. Vertebrates-Reptilia-tracks-Anchisauripus,Atreipus,Coelurosaurichnus. The fossils are from the Wenonah and Navesink Formations, which date back to the late-latest Campanian and Maastrichtian periods. Abundant: You can usually find many of these on an average trip. Rules for collecting invertebrate and plant material vary widely especially in 'wilderness areas'. 58 within 3 miles. Stoffer. The Shark River Park in New Jersey is home to Miocene-era fossils, the period when the megalodon shark roamed the waters of the world, not just in the United States. If my friend did not spot that tooth and I did not happen to be interested in the hobby, none of this would exist. Laurel is missing in some areas). LatLon is downtown Milford. Always ask. 31.4" Cretaceous Lamniform Shark (Cretolamna) Fossil - Hjoula, Lebanon $15,950 39.5" Tall Plate With Undescribed Plant & Three Fish - Special Piece $11,950 . The Natural Resources Defense Council ranked the beach at the Shark River Beach and Yacht Club beach in the Shark River Hills section of Neptune Township as the second most polluted beach in the . Dioceras might be a misspelling of 'Didymoceras' which has been found in NJ. $950.00 . something called the 'Beers Hill Cut' -- perhaps a RR cut?. Gastropods-Turritella,Mitrella,Scalaria,Rapana,Muricidea,Coralliophila. It is the northernmost inlet on the New Jersey coast. I went about 12 times or so, maybe a little more. A deer even came out to say hello. $61.06 15% off I'm sure for every one "I had a an awesome big brook day look at the mosasaur and croc stuff I found" post there is on this forum there's a dozen trips they made that weren't as productive. There is a Beach Arlington Bay Beach Park. Brachiopods-Nucleospira?,Kozlowskiella,Cupularostrum?,Machaeraria,Dalejina, 2.4km from S end of lake on W side of lake next to road. 8,824 posts. 1101 Schoolhouse Road, Wall, NJ 07753732-922-4080 - Ranger Station Park Brochure & Map | Tick Advisory Park opens at 7 a.m. daily, year round. crinoids-columnals,Chonetes,Spirifer,Grammysia,Palaeoneilo,Paracyclas, vertebrates-Reptilia-Dinosauria-tracks - Anchisauripus,Grallator, Gastropods-Busycon,Nassarius,Eupleura,Crepidula,Polinices;Bivalves-. The . 55. At its type section along the Manasquan River, 1.1 miles northwest of Squankum, the formation consists of Get permission from the marina. I dont mean to be the barer of bad news but there is no legal entry into the river because its owned by someone and there are trespassing laws.NJ is so good at keeping you from have fun. Digging holes where you do not have permission to dig or are unfamiliar with the rules is almost always a bad idea. Due to the location of the county poor farm in what is now Shark River Hills, the river and surrounding area was given the nickname of Shirk River due to the shiftless folks lazing about on the banks of the river near the poor farm. All the fossils described here so far are my personal finds from the Monmouth County streams. Nov 2009-Said to be closed to collecting and, in any case, pretty much worked out of material, Reptilia-teeth,tracks-Grallator,Hyphepus?,Anomoepus, @ Riker Quarry with permission from Essex Cnty Center for Env. Just place it over your head and go over portions of shallow river water where you can easily see the bottom. recognized by mapping software. corals-Flabellum,Peronidella;Brachiopods-Oleneothyris;Gastropods-Volutocorbis; vertebrates-fish-Diplurus,Synorichthys,Turseodus? Restaurants. Originally called Nolletquesset by the Lenni Lenape Indians, the name Shark River appears on the 1686 John Reid manuscript map of East Jersey which is the earliest existing detailed map of Monmouth County. The Shark River Inlet acts as a border . According to researchers . Lingulina,Pentacrinus,Goniaster,Cidaris,Salenia,Pseudodiadema,Porosoma, Narrow belt E of the Matawan Formation from Raritan Bay-Patuxent River. Once in a while a shark may swallow its own tooth (likely during feeding), leading to digested shark teeth. jm very interested in going, and if anyone wouldn't mind offering me suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Frequently Asked Questions about Shark River Park. There are a large number of old grist mills in NJ, On ridge on W side of Meadowlands, A few reptile tracks from this & other area exposures (1960-2002) My one trip to Shark River was disappointing. Delvetto's Pizzeria and Pub. Opens Tue 9a. Exit on Wayside Rd & proceed onto Tinton Ave/537. LatLon is Crawfords Corner Rd bridge over Hop Brook in Holmdel. In a couple years since I began searching through the sands of time, this hobby truly became my passion. was referred to as Shark River Pond. Fossil Sites in NEW JERSEY Version 1207 current as of JUL 2012. Site seems to be Ransom,'Fossils in America', In Triassic Sandstone above Hook Mt Basalt,fish. LatLon is I295 bridge over Oldmans Creek4. You'll need to spend a couple/few hours working through a lot of material. Park opens at 7 a.m. daily, year round. Also, the water there is filled with iron phosphorus rendering the water quite murky. Upstream of Mt Holly-Freehold Rd @ fishing access. Finding fossils is pretty much guaranteed at this off-the-beaten-track park about 70 miles from Philly, in the heart of New Jersey. Not only do these fish make . CHONDRICHTHYANS FROM A LAG DEPOSIT BETWEEN THE SHARK RIVER FORMATION (MIDDLE EOCENE) AND KIRKWOOD FORMATION (EARLY MIOCENE), MONMOUTH COUNTY, NEW JERSEY Harry M. Maisch IV, 1,* Martin A. Becker, 2 and John A. Chamberlain, Jr.1, 3 1Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, . https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/program1/searchdetails.aspx?ID=19564. or Tilcon Quarry) in two beds @ top of underlying mudstones, Reptilia-tracks-Anchisauripus,Grallator,Eubrontes, Batrachopus, Probably Stegomus arcuatus jerseyensis 1.25 miles (2km) southwest of Neshanic Station, Are they larger? The enamel has much less nonsoluble/organic components than the osteodentine, allowing it to be more easily digested by the sharks enzymes/stomach acid (information from Dr. Boessenecker on TheFossilForum), which means that digested shark teeth should technically have a crown that is relatively more corroded than the root. Brachiopods-Choristothyris,mollusks-Cucullaea,Inoceramus,Exogyra,Dianchora, invertebrates-sponges-Cliona;Brachiopods-Choristothyris;decapoda-. While it may very. Strange protuberances and pathological roots likely occurred from something other than feeding injury, while bent/twisted crowns are likely from feeding injuries (information from Siteseer on TheFossilForum). I know some people who would pull off at the side of the parkway bridge and toss their waders and shovels down over the side and then come through the park to get them.