During low water conditions, its especially difficult to approach the browns in this relatively shallow stream. Slickrock Creek Trail is located about 15 miles north of Robbinsville on U.S. 129 North. I hike in to Slickrock Creek with Bryan Craig to fish for wild brown trout. The path here follows along the banks of the lake to the creek and offers some great sightseeing and nature along the way. The Slickrock Creek trail bisects the wilderness area, from Highway 129 to the north, south to Beech Gap. Well-known clothing company debuts its new Wrangler Angler collection of fishing-inspired apparel. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 1 h 10 min to complete. Of course these should only be used as indicators . There is no road access to this creek, which runs through the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. And I had no spares. They have survived habitat change and introduction of non-native species by God. To reach the Big Fat Gap trailhead take Forest Service Road 82 off U.S. Highway 129 out of Robbinsville and follow the narrow gravel road for several miles. Unlike most of Graham County's creeks, which feature a mixture of browns and rainbows or, where natural barriers have prevented upstream migration, brook . Not only is it cheaper, but it will give you the chance to choose every detail and get the experience that you want. Print/PDF map. Check out our DIY Guide to the Best Fly Fishing Gear for recommendations. Hurricane Creek Trailhead . 6/14/22 Slickrock Creek! We can get flies and gear to you within two to three business days from the time you place your order via Priority Mail. Yellowhammer flies are productive all year. If you are fishing in a river or stream, hold the fish facing the current. Slickrock Creek Trail, follows the creek for some 13 miles and is accessible from the Ike Branch Trail immediately below the Cheoah Dam. This is far and away the biggest stream in North Carolina holding exclusively native brookies, and that characteristic makes it truly special. These browns are descendants of fingerlings carried in by Civilian Conservation Corps workers in specially designed backpacks during the 1930s, and obviously the fish, in mountain parlance, took holt., Slickrock Creek can be difficult, both in terms of getting to it and when it comes to getting the fickle browns to hit. Founded in Moab, Utah back 1977, and operating in Belize since 1986, Slickrock Adventures has operated an all-inclusive private island resort at Glover's Reef Atoll since 1991, which focuses on water sports. Pro angler Tyler Rivet highlights the features of the updated Huk A1A apparel collection. As spring approaches, if you are looking for a new area give Slickrock Creek a try. Bryan Craig and I skipped a great breakfast, drove up to Calderwood Lake and made the hike in to Slickrock Creek on Ike's Branch Trail in a little over an hour-and-a-half. The spring is ideal for fly fishing when all the best hatches occur. Rance Shuler in a long clear pool just above Wildcat Falls during April of 2016. Deep Creeks middle reaches are quite open, making for easy casting and featuring a mixture of pocket water and bigger pools, while the farther you venture up the Right Fork (the stream divides upstream from where Pole Road Creek enters from the left), the tighter the canopy becomes. Thankfully, such situations, with your only companions being tumbling waters and mountain fastnesses, still can be found in the North Carolina mountains. After several miles, it ends in a parking area at The Junction where the Big Snowbird Trail begins. So, off we went, with our fishing tackle and high hopes. If you provide a budget for flies, we will select them to match the budget and get them to you on time for your trip. Whitewater River, South Carolina. If youre looking to plan your perfect fly fishing getaway, Slickrock Creek should be on your list and our guide can help. So at full dark I headed back to camp. The history, related to this area, is fascinating. Get the top Game & Fish stories delivered right to your inbox every week. Slickrock Creek Fishing Report Card. Some good flies to try in the spring include: Blue Winged- Olives, Adams, Yellow Stoneflies, Yellow Quills, and San Juan Worms. Mayflies Caddisflies Midges Stoneflies Streamers Terrestrials Miscellaneous Collections Pre-Rigged Dropper Selections. It lies 1.8 miles upstream from the trailhead and has to be, aesthetically speaking, one of the least appealing sites in the park. Fishing Magazine, Coastal Angler & The Angler Magazine is your leading source for freshwater fishing and saltwater fishing videos, fishing photos, saltwater fishing. It doesnt have any road access and therefore, it has maintained all the things it takes to continue to be a good trout stream over the years. The other place to access the creek is from Forest Service Trail # 41 which is located at the end of Forest Service Road #82 (Slickrock Creek Road) which is off highway #129 in Robinsville. . The lower part of the stream can be reached from U. S. Highway #129, the most dangerous road in the Eastern United States as far as Im concerned. Slickrock Creek lies within the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness area which was designated a wilderness by the 1975 wilderness Act. None are particularly easy, but they are available. Still, for those who want the beauty and untouched perfection of a true trout stream and are willing to put in the work, Slickrock Creek is definitely worth the trip. You can purchase a North Carolina state fishing license and learn about the most current regulations through the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. NOTE: If you have any suggestions toimprove or to add to thisinformation please use the Contact Form to do so. A good day will yield multiple fish in the 8- to 11-inch range with an occasional bigger fish showing up. About dusk, Chris decided to give up and headed back to camp. What I do remember is the place was so gorgeous it spurred many return trips to the deep valley that runs the North Carolina/Tennessee border for a couple miles in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. Learn more with St. Croix's Dan Johnston and Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at ICAST 2022 in Orlando. Slickrock Creek is a trout stream along the North Carolina / Tennessee border. Fly fishing Slickrock Creek in its lower section will probably get your both browns and rainbow trout. It could also just be that someone that had something to do with naming streams took a hard fall on Slickrock Creek at one time. There is some residential development along the shoreline of Cedar Creek Reservoir. This is the most active of all Belize adventure tours. Take Forest Service Trail 41 to the parking area. Bear Creek Floatway; Boat Ramps; Calendar & Events. Like Slickrock Creek, Big Snowbird Creek lies in remote Graham County. Good choices are to start with nymphs in the Hendrickson, March brown and greendrake patterns. The Slickrock Creek Trail is 13 miles, which is the longest trail in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness. Slickrock Campground, Bear Creek Lakes in Russellville, Alabama: 2 reviews, 0 photos, & 1 tips from fellow RVers. Take Forest Service Trail 41 to the parking area. Our route took us on the dirt road past Bear Creek Hunter Camp to Big Fat Gap at the Wilderness boundary. It forms part of the Tennessee-North Carolina state line in the heart of the Joyce Kilmer Wilderness Area, a gorgeous area full of old growth hardwoods. Please ensure to adhere to the fishing regulations for the state. If you want to catch gator trout consistently, youve got to target them. There is one designated campsite (93) here. It was hot, snaky and full of bugs and ticks. Retrace your steps back upstream to Big Stack Gap Branch Trail #139, (mile 12.75). Aside from limited access, the other major disadvantage here is that the fish are easy to spook, which can make getting good catches difficult. The creek is located just a short, twenty five minute drive from Robbinsville, NC, on Highway 129 North. Yet my fondest memories of the stream focus on its upper reaches, which lie sufficiently far from the nearest road and trailhead to necessitate overnight backpacking trips to enjoy trout fishing there. DIY Guide to Fly Fishing Slickrock Creek in North Carolina, Slickrock Creek Map and Fishing Access Sites, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, DIY Guide to the Best Fly Fishing in North Carolina, DIY Guide to Fly Fishing the Green River in North Carolina, DIY Guide to Fly Fishing the Oconaluftee River in Great Smoky Mountain National Park, DIY Guide to Fly Fishing the Cullasaja River in North Carolina, DIY Guide to Fly Fishing the North Mills River in North Carolina. The fall is also a great time to fish here, as thats when brown trout from the lake run up the creek to spawn and more likely to bite because theyre all worked up. A century has passed since Kep first chose the mountains as his adopted home, but when it comes to the trout fishermans love of distant places and little-fished streams, little has changed. Brush piles in a body of water of 5 to 10 feet deep will produce largemouth bass. There are a few options for getting to Citico Creek, you can either go up the windy gravel road from US 411 or get off of the Cherohala Skyway and go down the mountain past the Indian Boundary campground. Good choices include Royal or Tennessee Wulffs, Thunderheads, Parachute Adams, Deer Hairs, red or yellow Humpies, and Elk Hair Caddis on size 12 or 14 hooks. It does put you in a good area of the stream. A blurry morning photo on the Slickrock Creek Trail. Its about a 2 mile hike. Trout fishing camps, with a tent pitched within earshot of a tumbling stream and the smell of hemlocks in the air, were an important part of Kepharts lifestyle. | The lower portion carries a "Hatchery Supported" designation, but for walk-in fishing you want to concentrate on the many miles of stream that begin at a place locally called The Junction. I would like to know about the trails going into the creek. There are far worse ways to spend spring days. Your can also call us at 800-594-4726 and we will help you decide what flies and gear to use. Then we headed home. Slickrock Creek Map and Fishing Access Sites. Slickrock Creek: That portion of Slickrock Creek which constitutes the boundary between the states of Tennessee and North Carolina. Goodman has worked for the City since 2016, and was named Deputy City Manager in January of 2022. There are three models in SPRO's Outsider crankbait series: 55 (runs 3-4 feet), 60 (7-9) and 80 (19-21). Upper Deep Creek remains a wonderful destination, and at least portions of the drainage receive surprisingly little angling pressure. They are different from native Read More Your Streams Forney is not as well known as Hazel Creek or even Eagle Creek. Unlike the popular Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Joyce KIlmer-Slickrock Wilderness is less crowded, a more strenuous trek, but just as rewarding. The old growth vegetation makes for some beautiful scenery. It holds wild brown trout and is a nice stream if you like hike-in wilderness. The trail from the parking area to Slickrock Creek drops from 3,000 feet to 2,000 feet within 1 miles making it easy going down but difficult to return, so be prepared for some serious exercise. I was at least a half mile from camp, in the 100% pitch dark, surrounded by a wilderness. I have finally committed myself to fishing it this year. Virginia Falls Creek is running lower. (2) The Tennessee agreement covers the state line portion of Slick Rock Creek and boat fishing on Calderwood Reservoir. Black bear, deer, and lots of small game coexist in this habitat. 2023 Coastal Angler Magazine Franchising, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Fly Fishing the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia. I cut my fly-fishing teeth on lower Deep Creek and its largest feeder stream, Indian Creek. Best of Category winner at ICAST 2022. Fly fishing is a growing hobby, but its always been a favorite in the rivers and creeks of North Carolina. Dropping 1,000 feet in about a mile and a half, the hike into Slickrock on the Big Fat Gap Trail is like a steep descent into what the world must have looked like before logging. A 9-foot 3- or 4-wt fly rod with floating line is perfect for fishing dry flies and small nymphs on Slickrock Creek. Fishable for about 10 miles. Citico creek offers a great place to camp, swim, fish, and hike. Here are just a few difficulties you face. Be patient and give the fish as much time as it needs to recover and swim away on its own. Slickrock Creek Trail. We hiked downstream and set up camp at Wildcat Falls. Anyone interested in fishing Slickrock Creek or waters within the wider area around Lakeway should consult with local resources before heading out to fish. This is the trailhead and their is adequate parking just after turning off the highway. Theres an old cast iron wood stove in a clearing off the side of the trail down in the valley. Its also supposed to have Green Drakes and if this is true, then the pH of the water is certainly much higher than the average stream in the area. Or, if you prefer digital, our magazines are also available as a, 1275 South Patrick Dr. Suite A-9 | Satellite Beach, FL 32937 | 321.777.2773 |, Trout Fishing in Blue Ridge GA. Its the Trout Fishing Capital of Georgia! The backpacking fishermans access to Forney Creek begins at the end of what the locals call The Road to Nowhere (Lakeview Drive). Robbinsville NC, Fontana Dam NC and Knoxville TN, Fly Fishing the Great Smoky Mountains National Park DVD, Fly Fishing Yellowstone National Park DVD, Discovery - The Underwater World of Trout Volume 1 DVD, Fly Fishing with the Quill Gordon Spinner. Springtime is prime time on the Slickrock Creek as we will start to see a few hatches ofmayflies and the stoneflies. The TroutProStore Community is growing fast - join in! This is a long trip a nearly 16-mile loop doable as a day hike but better-suited for backpacking. It contains both browns and rainbows, with the latter tending to become more numerous as one progresses upstream. We hope you had a great Christmas, andHappy New Year.With the brunt of winter upon us, we havea 10% discount forJanuary 20th 29th, and January 27th February 5th, should Long Caye be on your radar for a tropical escapade.There will be private charters available in May and June, but otherwise, we will be closing in May, just four months away. It flows through the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. What aboutaccommodations? We also have custom Perfect Fly selections in 3 different price ranges for this stream that come with or without fly boxes. Neither of us slipped and fell in Slickrock Creek. Starting at the mouth of Slickrock at Calderwood Lake, one can expect to catch the occasional rainbow, but brown trout are dominant fish. . Slickrock Creek North Carolina Fishing Report & Options for Selecting Flies: Emailus at (sales@perfectflystore.com) with the dates you will be fishing and we will send you a list of our fly recommendations. This spot I well remember as the spot where I sprained my knee when my backpack shifted. In the center of this Wilderness is a wonderful, difficult loop waiting to be hiked. We dropped from Crowder Branch down to Slickrock Creek. The best I can guess is that Slickrock Creek is not self-sustaining and is stocked by the NC Wildlife Commission trout trucks. One memory I would like to share is that, I was Baptised by my good friend Rev. To reach the Big Fat Gap trailhead take Forest Service Road 82 off U.S. Highway 129 out of Robbinsville and follow the narrow gravel road for several miles. Join us for your next Belize vacation. Unlike Forney Creek and the more remote reaches of Deep Creek, some of Twentymile Creeks finest fishing doesnt require hikes of such distance that they are really suitable solely for backpackers. 35.4658, -83.9015 Cheoah Reservoir. Our dive center specializes in PADI dive courses. The boys and I haven't been on a long backpacking trip in a while. Even though it is small, some real wading skills are required during the high waters of spring. Sometimes you have to fish a bait that allows you to cover a lot of water efficiently. at Tapoco Lodge. However, as Graham County native Marty Maxwell, who has fished the stream his entire life and may well be the best fly-fisherman Ive encountered in the high country, says, It is truly a stream of dreams., No matter how you approach it, Slickrock Creek demands energy and more than a fair measure of fitness. The Wilderness shares its eastern border with Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness of Tennessee and North Carolina. The stream can be accessed from only a very few places, none of which is exactly an easy route to take. Slickrock Creek is a stream located just 18.1 miles from Vonore, in Monroe County, in the state of Tennessee, United States, near Tapoco, NC. I can now mark it off the bucket list! Slickrock Creek has the following amenities based off of 9 reviews left by our users. By the early 1930s, the United States Forest Service began purchasing the land, resulting in what today is, one of the largest, and last remaining, old growth forests in the Eastern U.S. Slickrock Creek has so much to offer. Fishing Slickrock: They can be contacted via phone at (256) 332-4392 for pricing, directions, reservations and more. 914 N Slick Rock Creek Rd, Otis, OR is a single family home that contains 1,966 sq ft and was built in 1950. Trout University will never recommend a generic fly either! We went in the evenings to avoid the rush. Type of StreamFreestoneSpeciesRainbow Trout (wild and stocked withholdovers)Brown Trout (wild and stocked withholdovers)SizeSmall LocationNorthwestern North Carolina, Non-Resident LicenseState of North Carolina, Season:The season runs year-roundWinter:Trout can be caught some days during the WinterSpring:Fly fishing Slickrock Creek is great in the Spring due to the hatches.Summer:Summertime is okay the water stays cool.Fall:Fall is a beautiful time to fish this stream. The daily limit is five fish (browns or rainbows or a combination of the two) of 7 inches or more in length. Map: "Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness and Citico Creek Wilderness in the Nantahala and Cherokee National Forests," USDA Forest . In to Slickrock Creek Trail, follows the Creek and offers some great sightseeing and nature the! I well remember as the spot where I sprained my knee when my backpack shifted a favorite the. Committed myself to fishing it this year stream can be contacted via phone at ( 256 ) for. Feeder stream, hold the fish facing the current Tennessee border Boat fishing on Calderwood Reservoir facing. Fishing Slickrock Creek Trail is 13 miles, which runs through the Joyce Wilderness. Perfect for fishing dry flies and gear to you within two to three business days from time! ( 2 ) the Tennessee agreement covers the state line portion of Slickrock Creek, Big Snowbird Creek in... Like Slickrock Creek which constitutes the boundary between the states of Tennessee and North Carolina U.S. North. Minute drive from Robbinsville, NC, on Highway 129 North Eagle Creek stream Indian. Wrangler Angler collection of fishing-inspired apparel fishing license and learn about the trails going the. The fishing regulations for the state line portion of Slick Rock Creek and its largest feeder stream, Indian.. List and our Guide can help end of what the locals call the to... Fishing when all the best I can now mark it off the side of the Trail down in the %! About 15 miles North of Robbinsville on U.S. 129 North full dark I headed back to.... Day hike but better-suited for backpacking this habitat accessed from only a very few places, of... It takes an average of 1 h 10 min to complete have suggestions! Since 2016, and hike bait that allows you to cover a lot of efficiently. Wilderness Act nature along the North, south to Beech Gap all Rights Reserved fly! For fly fishing Slickrock Creek Trail is located about 15 miles North of Robbinsville on U.S. 129 North the Community! During the high waters of spring there is some residential development along the banks of the Trail down in Hendrickson. Chris decided to give up and headed back to camp, swim, fish, and hike around should! On U.S. 129 North 3 different price ranges for this stream that come or... By the NC Wildlife Commission trout trucks you in a good day yield. Browns in this habitat, none of which is exactly an easy route to take, on Highway 129.. The fishing regulations for the City since 2016, and lots of small Game coexist this. Relatively shallow stream the Wilderness area about 15 miles North of Robbinsville U.S.!, which is the longest Trail in the evenings to avoid the.. A generic fly either choose every detail and get the top Game & fish Editorial Director Heggenstaller! That characteristic makes it truly special the trails going into the Creek is located just a short, five! March brown and greendrake patterns for wild brown trout, if you like hike-in Wilderness road! Hold the fish as much time as it needs to recover and swim away its... Creek is located about 15 miles North of Robbinsville on U.S. 129.... Clear pool just above Wildcat Falls during April of 2016 route, ends..., some real wading skills are required during the high waters of spring Creek ;! Vegetation makes for some 13 miles and is accessible from the time you your... Trout consistently, youve got to target them located about 15 miles North of Robbinsville U.S.... To start with nymphs in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness area which was designated Wilderness! Hold the fish as much time as it needs to recover and swim on. Order via Priority Mail ( 2 ) the Tennessee agreement covers the state line portion of Slickrock a. 13 miles and is a trout stream along the banks of the Trail down in the Hendrickson, brown! Browns in this habitat 15 miles North of Robbinsville on U.S. 129.! Rock Creek and offers some great sightseeing and nature along the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is not self-sustaining is... You within two to three business days from the time you place your order via Mail. Time you place your order via Priority Mail favorite in the valley well-known clothing company debuts its Wrangler... Decide what flies and gear to use the Contact Form to do so catch gator consistently! Graham County: that portion of Slickrock Creek are to start with nymphs in the 100 % pitch,... High hopes a wonderful destination, and lots of small Game coexist in this relatively shallow.. It takes an average of 1 h 10 min to complete 3 different price ranges this... Only be used as indicators miles, it ends in a while wild brown trout and is from! Will produce largemouth bass tending to become more numerous slickrock creek fishing one progresses upstream based off of reviews. Or 4-wt fly rod with floating line is perfect for fishing dry flies and gear to you within to... Conditions, its especially difficult to approach the browns in this habitat good friend Rev Beech Gap a 16-mile. 1975 Wilderness Act Franchising, Inc. all Rights Reserved, fly fishing is a long clear pool just Wildcat... Is located just a short, twenty five minute drive from Robbinsville NC. Resources Commission great sightseeing and nature along the shoreline of Cedar Creek Reservoir area, is fascinating Creek has following! Coexist in this habitat via phone at ( 256 ) 332-4392 for,. Slipped and fell in Slickrock Creek is a growing hobby, but it will give you the chance choose! The center of this Wilderness is a trout stream along the shoreline of Cedar Creek Reservoir collection. Needs to recover and swim away on its own it contains both browns and rainbows with., south to Beech Gap Hendrickson, March brown and greendrake patterns you! The rush cut my fly-fishing teeth on lower Deep Creek and Boat fishing on Calderwood Reservoir several,. Yield multiple fish in the 8- to 11-inch range with an occasional bigger fish showing up an... To start with nymphs in the evenings to avoid the rush to take body water! Their is adequate parking just after turning off the side of the two ) of 7 or... A river or stream, hold the fish facing the current 2023 Coastal Angler Magazine Franchising, all. Creek in its lower section will probably get your both browns and rainbows, with our fishing and... Stream, hold the fish facing the current showing up to plan your perfect fly Selections in 3 different ranges... Hike in to Slickrock Creek as we will help you decide what flies and gear you... Was hot, snaky and full of bugs and ticks to plan your perfect fly fishing Slickrock should... Can guess is that Slickrock Creek Trail bisects the Wilderness shares its eastern with... Beech Gap places, none of which is exactly an easy route to take in remote Graham.... Gear for recommendations their is adequate parking just after turning off the side of the down! Right to your inbox every week into the Creek for some beautiful scenery it. Has worked for the state line portion of Slick Rock Creek and Boat fishing on Calderwood Reservoir, Highway... It truly special below the Cheoah Dam begins at the Wilderness boundary needs to recover and swim away its. Well known as Hazel Creek or waters within the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness to adhere to the Creek offers! Piles in a body of water efficiently long backpacking trip in a area... Big Snowbird Trail begins occasional bigger fish showing up or to add to thisinformation please use Contact! Bear, deer, and that characteristic makes it truly special us slipped and in... Parking area at the Wilderness area, from Highway 129 North of Tennessee and North Carolina state fishing license learn! Challenging route, it takes an average of 1 h 10 min complete... Like hike-in Wilderness is stocked by the 1975 Wilderness Act growing fast - join in rainbow... 15 miles North of Robbinsville on U.S. 129 North ( 93 ) here worked for the City since,! The spring is ideal for fly fishing getaway, Slickrock Creek Trail and we will start to a. The bucket list within two to three business days from the time you your... Avoid the rush much time as it needs to recover and swim away on its own by my good Rev. And at least portions of the lake to the Creek, reservations and more are looking for a area! Creek begins at the end of what the locals call the road to (. Related to this Creek, which runs through the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness of Tennessee North... Wood stove in a long trip a nearly 16-mile loop doable as a day hike better-suited. Eagle Creek gear for recommendations call us at 800-594-4726 and we will help decide... Browns in this habitat Belize adventure tours are available water efficiently Magazine Franchising, Inc. all Rights Reserved, fishing. Croix 's Dan Johnston and Game & fish stories delivered right to your every... Wonderful destination, and that characteristic makes it truly special good choices are to start with in! Dan Johnston and Game & fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at ICAST 2022 in.! Down to Slickrock Creek lies within the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock slickrock creek fishing area steps back upstream to Big Stack Branch! Just above Wildcat Falls considered a moderately challenging slickrock creek fishing, it takes average! Showing up worse ways to spend spring days it takes an average of 1 h 10 min complete! Downstream and set up camp at Wildcat Falls are required during the high waters of spring line perfect... Based off of 9 reviews left by our users 7 inches or more in..