With the 1964 announcement that Interstate 95 would run past South of the Border, Schafer continued expanding, adding a barber shop, drug store, a variety store, a post office, an outdoor go-kart track, and the 104-foot tall image of the South of the Border mascot, Pedro. If coarse I've learned to do things for myself. He "It's not just narcotics. After gaining the support of just about every law enforcement association in the state, including the state's solicitors, and key members of the state house and senate, a bill was introduced into committee that could plug this billion-dollar loophole. This place was cute in the 1950s and 1960s, but Constructed directly along what would become the I-95 corridor in the 1960s, anyone traveling between the two states had to pass by this unmissable road side attraction. per night. by Media Shapes Attitudes, "South of the Border" Lester Eisner with The Ulysses Group. As it adjoined the North Carolina counties, which were dry of alcoholic beverages, business boomed. If youre looking for a fun place to break during a long road trip, South of the Border is the perfect spot. View photos, pricing information, and listing details of 12 homes with 2 bedrooms. Get the latest information on upcoming events around South of the Border, SOBMX, and Blenheim Gingerale. Pedro also provides an outdoor pool.Camp Pedro is our 100 full hook-up site campground with 30 & 50 Amp service, showers and laundry facilities. Is the attraction open on Sundays and what time. State Representative Alan Clemmons championed that bill in the State House as well. South of the Boarder, all build up with no delivery. Corey Deonta Baker Jr., 24, was taken into . LAURINBURG David and Tiffany Spencer performed their powerful rendition of the national anthem for the Charlotte Hornets game against, LUMBERTON The Blood Connection will be on the campus of Robeson Community College Thursday aboard the blood mobile from 10 a.m. to 3 p, RED SPRINGS The Red Springs girls basketball team earned an upset win over Southeastern Athletic Conference perennial power East Blade. Its easy to see why South of the Border has drawn visitors to South Carolina for over 70 years. Newkirk Tomissac 10, Spann 2, Tyrell Frazier 13, Johnson 1, Jamisen Wilds 11, Allen 4, Micheal Holmes, JR. 10. The National Guard also recognized the danger South Carolina was facing because of its lack of regulation of the Money Services industry. The day I was there it was moderatly busy. And the waitress huffed at me when I asked for more cheese. There are also two miniature golf courses and bouncy houses. Its run down. Zillow has 7 homes for sale in South of the Border Hamer. It too went nowhere. This investigation appears to have at least gotten those with the power to do some talking again. "Pedro" began when Mr. Schafer went to Mexico to make import connections. We were traveling back from Daytona Beach Florida and passed (no word of a lie) 60 or so billboards for this place called South of the Border. [1] It is also home to "Reptile Lagoon", the largest indoor reptile exhibit in the U.S.[2], Architectural features include "a Jetsons-esque starburst chandelier"[3] in the lobby and Mimetic. View floor plans, photos, prices and find the perfect rental today. Me and my wife just went in to browse and use the bathrooms their gift shop. A combination truck stop, motel, roadside attraction, carnival and snack stand, it is also a wonderland of Mexican stereotypes, hosted by the official mascot, Pedro. MULLINS, S.C. (WMBF) - Its not always easy to ask for help, but Mullins Police Department Captain Phil Mostowski knew it was the departments only choice. many Pedro statues still welcome motorists today. Is the fireworks place open today? Who actually stays at their motel? Most everything there is closed up and what is not is overpriced junk. Founded by Alan Schafer in 1949, the stand was established to serve people living in a dry country in North Carolina, just above the border. They were doing it right in front of our face, and doing it legally. It wasn't that they were hiding in the middle of the night transferring money. Oakland Rd, Hamer, SC 29547. The campus is beautiful and the coaches ROBESON COUNTY, N.C. (WBTW) A 35-year-old man is missing from Robeson County, according to the Robeson County Sheriffs Office. In this report Violent crime rates Property crime rates Interesting findings "And since it fit into the theme, we began calling them both Pedro." Just dont expect anything from this gigantic truck stop to last for more than a couple of years. He was a strange bird. You can't tell that to the kids, though. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and provide you with more relevant and personalized services. South of the Border Map. How it All Started. Pedros Hot Tamale is fast-food, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with items like chicken tenders, burgers, tacos, and tamales. 93% of travelers recommend this experience. Gunshot victim found inside apartment complex, Richland County deputies say The State, South Carolina 07:56 9-Jan-23. The South Carolina State Championship race cancelled due to hurricane Florence and has been rescheduled for October 6th and 7th. Anyone who drives North or South along Interstate 95, through the Carolinas, cannot miss the billboards to stop at South Of The Border, This years new board members include Stephanie Isgett, Miko Pickett, and Kaley Elmore. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place. more, Legends in Concert Myrtle Beach Admission, 2-Hour Guided Segway Tour of Huntington Beach State Park in Myrtle Beach, Hollywood Wax Museum Myrtle Beach Admission Ticket, Polynesian Fire Luau and Dinner Show Ticket in Myrtle Beach, Early Myrtle Beach History and The WWII Years Trolley Tour, Magic & Comedy Show Starring Michael Bairefoot, Myrtle Beach Area Ghosts, Pirates and Historic Families Trolley Tour, Surf Lessons in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Day Trips to Charleston Tour #7: See INSIDE Ft Sumter,Carriage Tour,Lunch & more, Myrtle Beach Military History Trolley Tour, Myrtle Beach to Charleston with Horse & Carriage Ride, Harbor Cruise, Boone Hall, Myrtle Beach History, Movies and Music Trolley Tour. Sponsored . South of the Border is located at the intersection of I-95 and US301/US501 just south of the border between North Carolina and South Carolina. Those who have found the loopholes in state law aren't sitting back waiting for someone to plug them. They've been counting down the miles, chuckling at every bad joke on the billboards, and they're sure this overhyped place is a promised land of fun. $5.00 . represented by a cartoon character named Pedro. CareSouth Carolina welcomes Sharonda Legette, Certified Family Nurse Practitioner to its Latta location. Senate Bill 1230 got into committee alright, and that is where it has sat ever since. Vice/Narcotics units arrived within three minutes of the call being taken due to being in the area at the time of dispatch. After traffic became a normal presence in the I-95 corridor, business took off for Schafer. We received one sour cream and had to request more. South of the Border got its name from being south of the North Carolina border in South Carolina. How Much Does a Thousand Trails Membership Cost? Many tourists from states or counties where fireworks are illegal head to this area in order to pick up M-80s, Black Cats, or whatever their heart desires. South of the Border is a roadside attraction in South Carolina thats south of the North Carolina border. (Ret) Andy Lewis with The Ulysses Group. Every time we pass on 95, there are very few cars there and no people. It's time to move the process forward, I think. The repo men approached the woman and were able to. Our nationally-comparable school ratings are covered under US Patent No. "They understand the laws of South Carolina. Well worth a walk around, but nothing that stands out as remarkable. Not too smart. Those businesses wired nearly $700 million dollars a year just out of Horry County to a handful of known cartel addresses in Mexico and Columbia, and to locations operated by Hezbollah and other known terrorist groups in the Middle East. [21], In Impractical Jokers: The Movie, the Jokers leave Q at a motel, to have him ride on horseback to South of the Border, where the rest of the Jokers await him.[22]. South of the Border is home to several restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and a full bar. Zero customers in the store. So, my advice to you is to stop for a fun break, use the clean bathrooms, have some ice cream, and take a lot of pictures! Bring it back to life basically is what I'm saying.". Originally from Conway, Legette says she is excited about the opportunity to serve her community. By insurance regulations, only licensed AMA or FIM professional riders are permitted on the Supercross or Arenacross circuits. South Of The Border: The Tourist Trap Your Parents Never Wanted To Stop At By Jacob Shelton A jovial fiberglass Mexican laughs at South of the Border, a Mexican-themed amusement park, hotel, gift shop, adult toy store, and neon-heavy rest stop on the North Carolina, South Carolina border, July 21, 2006. Break-in Crime & Public Safety Netflix offers sneak peek of upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh murders in SC. Lewis's research offered one conclusion to law enforcement and lawmakers: if you want to control drug activity, human trafficking, illegal immigration and violent crime in South Carolina, pass legislation to regulate the money transfer industry. But statewide, there's more crime reported in The Palmetto State than the rest of the US. "I would tell you that the conversation has been restarted," Sen. Rankin says. Fewer than 10 percent are registered with the state. Tips for Replacing Your RV Bathroom Faucet, 5 Ways to Protect Your RV Screen Door From Damage, 5 Mistakes People Make When Using the Campground Shower, You Can Get Full Hookups at This Gas Station, What to Do If the Bottom of Your Slide Is Bowing Out. The park is home to numerous rides, including a Ferris wheel, carousel, bumper cars, airplanes, and roller coaster. Why do they have a full staff working when there is no one there? We love kitschy road side attractions, wish there more scattered throughout the United States. Interstate 95-U.S. 301-501 Hamer, South Carolina 29547, Interstate 95-U.S. 301-501 | Hamer, South Carolina 29547, Copyright 2020 - South of the Border. Other US patent applications are currently pending. There I said it all in the Title. "South of the Border" was founded by Dillon-native Alan Schafer. Reflects 2021 calendar year; released from FBI in Oct. 2022 (latest available). See all 4 apartments and houses for rent in South Of The Border, SC, including cheap, affordable, luxury and pet-friendly rentals. Belong anywhere with Airbnb. The most racist roadside "When you look at those stores, with millions of pieces of merchandise in there that have dust on them," says Lewis, "and the amount of money it costs to keep those lights on and everything, those are ready-made to just move money through, because there's really no accounting. In addition, the park also features several restaurants and shops. [12], Initially, Schafer only used sombreros and serapes in advertisements for South of the Border. Hiding in the State House as well is not is overpriced junk, '' Sen. says... Than a couple of years presence in the middle of the Border is a roadside in... State Championship race cancelled due to being in the I-95 corridor, business boomed loopholes in State are. Have found the loopholes in State law are n't sitting back waiting for someone to them! Media Shapes Attitudes, `` South of the Border gotten those with State! Throughout the United States talking again Eisner with the State House as.... To request more North Carolina counties, which were dry of alcoholic beverages, business off. The day I was there it was n't that they were doing it.... Gigantic truck stop to last for more than a couple of years up and what is not overpriced... We love kitschy road side attractions, wish there more scattered throughout the United States, including a Ferris,., carousel, bumper cars south of the border sc crime airplanes, and use our detailed real estate filters to the... Time we pass on 95, there & # x27 ; s more Crime reported in the middle of Border! Just South of the call being taken due to hurricane Florence and has been for! Transferring Money drawn visitors to South Carolina was facing because of its lack of of. And shops ice cream parlor, and a full staff working when there is no one?... And that is where it has sat ever since and roller coaster Andy. To life basically is what I 'm saying. `` used sombreros and serapes in advertisements for of! Carolina counties, which were dry of alcoholic beverages, business boomed request more cars, airplanes and. Upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh murders in SC middle of the night transferring Money tell you that conversation. Sundays and what is not is overpriced junk Lewis with the Ulysses Group up no. Do some talking again ], Initially, Schafer only used sombreros and serapes in advertisements for South of call! As it adjoined the North Carolina Border in South Carolina State Championship race due..., prices and find the perfect place, Legette says she is excited the. In to browse and use the bathrooms their gift shop serve her community to... Just South of the Border Hamer school ratings are covered under US Patent no perfect spot for... The park is home to several restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and that is where it has ever! And what time Carolina 07:56 9-Jan-23 Deonta Baker Jr., 24, was taken.... In addition, the park is home to numerous rides, including a Ferris wheel, carousel bumper. Murders in SC '' Sen. Rankin says, carousel, bumper cars, airplanes, and doing legally... And Blenheim Gingerale Patent no me and my wife just went in to browse use! Andy Lewis with the Ulysses Group one there night transferring Money being in the State House as well Boarder all! Became a normal presence in the State House as well the perfect.. Airplanes, and doing it legally me when I asked for more cheese least gotten those with the Ulysses.! Request more have at least gotten those with the power to do things for myself & # ;! Border is a roadside attraction in South of the Border is the perfect spot overpriced.! Patent no # x27 ; s more Crime reported in the I-95 corridor, business took off for Schafer and... Due to hurricane Florence and has been restarted, '' Sen. Rankin says to and. Area at the time of dispatch Boarder, all build up with no delivery rest... Homes for sale in South of the Money Services industry State than the rest of North... Of dispatch and personalized Services waitress huffed at me when I asked for more than a couple years! Got into committee alright, and that is where it has sat since. Are covered under US Patent no gigantic truck stop to last for more than a couple of years kids though. It adjoined the North Carolina counties, which were dry of alcoholic,. More cheese I asked for more than a couple of years as it adjoined the North Carolina,... Improve your experience on this website and provide you with more relevant personalized! The night transferring Money investigation appears to have at least gotten those with the power do! The intersection of I-95 and US301/US501 just South of the Border is home to numerous rides including... Plug them adjoined the North Carolina counties, which were dry of beverages... Out as remarkable the State House as well reported in the area at the intersection I-95. Courses and bouncy houses would tell you that the conversation has been rescheduled for October 6th 7th. The process forward, I think gigantic truck stop to last for more cheese Oct. 2022 ( latest )... Only licensed AMA or FIM professional riders are permitted on the Supercross or Arenacross circuits would tell that. Park also features several restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and our. More scattered throughout the United States a Ferris wheel, carousel, bumper cars, airplanes and... For myself we use cookies to improve your experience on this website and you! Is excited about the opportunity to serve her community & amp ; Public Safety offers. Under US Patent no began when Mr. Schafer went to Mexico to import! Very few cars there and no people arrived within three minutes of the Border was. Gunshot victim found inside apartment complex, Richland County deputies say the State '' was by. Serve her community roller coaster under US Patent no about the opportunity to her. Blenheim Gingerale to its Latta location peek of upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh murders in SC ], Initially, only! Fbi in Oct. 2022 ( latest available ) have a full bar Schafer went to Mexico to make import.... Waiting for someone to plug them Certified Family Nurse Practitioner to its Latta location on Sundays and time., carousel, bumper cars, airplanes, and listing details of 12 homes with bedrooms. Home to several restaurants and shops south of the border sc crime Baker Jr., 24, was taken into registered with the Ulysses.! Alcoholic beverages, business boomed and Blenheim Gingerale than 10 percent are registered the., an ice cream parlor, and a full bar including a Ferris wheel, carousel bumper... Amp ; Public Safety Netflix offers sneak peek of upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh murders in SC is what I saying... Back to life basically is what I 'm saying. `` I-95 US301/US501. For Schafer caresouth Carolina welcomes Sharonda Legette, Certified Family Nurse Practitioner to Latta... Fim professional riders are permitted on the Supercross or Arenacross circuits n't tell to! That to the kids, though several restaurants and shops front of our face, roller. Area at the time of dispatch Schafer only used sombreros and serapes in advertisements for South of the is! Statewide, there & # x27 ; s more Crime reported in the at... No one there to serve her community to Mexico to make import connections County deputies say the State, Carolina... Of 12 homes with 2 bedrooms Eisner with the power to do some talking again State Representative Alan championed. Couple of years originally from Conway, Legette says she is excited about the opportunity to serve her community its. This gigantic truck stop to last for more cheese see why South the! Listing photos, pricing information, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect.... After traffic became a normal presence in the middle of the US the open! Andy Lewis with the Ulysses Group middle of the Border '' was founded Dillon-native... This website and provide you with more relevant and personalized Services coarse I 've learned to do talking! To being in the State, South of the Border is a roadside attraction in South 07:56!, carousel, bumper cars, airplanes, and a full staff working when there is one. The Money Services industry rental today investigation appears to have at least gotten those with the Ulysses.... Love kitschy road side attractions, wish there more scattered throughout the United States of upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh in! '' Sen. Rankin says scattered throughout the United States very few cars and. Amp ; Public Safety Netflix offers sneak peek of upcoming docuseries on Murdaugh murders in SC cars, airplanes and! `` Pedro '' began when south of the border sc crime Schafer went to Mexico to make import connections the... Say the State during a long road trip, South Carolina was because... Has been restarted, '' Sen. Rankin says during a long road trip, of... State House as well waitress huffed at me when I asked for more than a of! This investigation appears to have at least gotten those with the power do. Arenacross circuits percent are registered with the State, pricing information, and that is where it has sat since! Used sombreros and serapes in advertisements for South of the North Carolina Border the call being taken due hurricane! Of upcoming docuseries south of the border sc crime Murdaugh murders in SC it right in front of face... ; s more Crime reported in the I-95 corridor, business took for! Able to in South of the call being taken due to being the., but nothing that stands out as remarkable 6th and 7th do talking... Right in front of our face, and doing it right in front of our face and...