: Elec. Not yet, surprisingly, but I fully expect that to happen sooner than later. Not sure I like how light the blue is with the graphite. . Technically, the Surface Go 2 is also a smaller tablet competitor. Not great, but I'll live. Let's take a look first at how the consumer versions of the Surface Pro 9 and Pro 8 compare. (You can adjust the performance within the Windows 11 Settings menu, specifically System > Power & battery.) I think it even sounds as good if not better than the quad speakers of Surface Laptop Studio. There's nothing "light years ahead," you're just making things up. The good news is that all of the Surface Pro 8 options Microsoft is selling should offer enough computational power and memory for any buyer. Microsofts Dynamic Refresh Rate feature didnt make it to the Surface Pro 8, unfortunately. Keep an eye out for discounted prices as stock is finished off. BTW, this didn't happen with my Pro (5th Gen). Atleast I won't be tempted to buy one. Unfortunately, gaming on the Surface 8 Pro proved less than stellar. The Pro 9 with 5G is only available in a Graphite color. 1) Android apps are coming. Windows couldnt set up a new face profile with a mask on, and couldnt recognize me with one on, either. M1 chip is a joke which is why Apple's laptop market share has remained at 7-8%. The bigger deal is the tray for the Surface Slim Pen or Surface Slim Pen 2. Edit 3: Battery test after letting both devices come to a rest: I started with a video live stream on YouTube in Edge, live Chat opened. Yes, paying $1,500 for a tablet is still a lot to ask, but the Surface Pro 8 simply offers so much more than its current competition. The Microsoft Surface Pro 8 features an 11th gen Intel CPU and a vivid 13-inch display. That app can tune audio (Dolby Atmos), and video (Dolby Vision) with some presets. The camera produces detail-rich images if you snap photos anywhere with decent lighting. I buy a Windows device to use as a tablet, also to use as a laptop, it's why I buy a detachable, otherwise a detachable generally costs more money, for the same functionality you could get from a clamshell device if you are using it as a laptop only. Gaming is, of course, what ate up the brunt of the battery life. Much of my music listening. That seems like a bigger con since it cannot be easily added if used as extra storage / 2nd 'storage disk'. I am pleased to report that Microsoft does now let users disable Intel's "adaptive contrast," long a bugaboo of Surface fans. Whether you're multitasking while on a video call, crushing an Excel spreadsheet, or gaming with friends, Surface Pro 8 will handle it all with 11th Gen Intel Core processors. At your desk you use a dock, very weird decision to put two of these and not one of each. I do think its a shame MS ditched the micro-sd card, I find it very convenient with my Go 2 especially since it tucked away safely (its basically a 2nd fast hdd you get performance wise and 256/512 gb micro-sd cards are quite cheap these days). 8 hours battery life JUST doing very light web browsing with Edge, the odd Excel/Word document, and zero video calls. The Pro 9 and Pro 8 include dual 2W speakers with Dolby Atmos, as well as dual far-field microphones for calls. By default, it is set to 50% though I found turning it up to near 100% is a better experience. I'm extremely excited for this, just waiting to see what Black Friday sales surface. The Surface Pro 9 brings new performance hardware, new 5G model with SQ3 processor, and new color options for the aluminum chassis. I'll see if I can get my hands on one at some point. We typically run down a laptop battery by looping a 4K video over and over until it expires, and we did that here. Its snappy, responsive, and doesnt take up much real estate on the screen (though youre free to enlarge the keyboards size if you want). For the first time, Microsoft is also using Dolby Vision, a form of high-dynamic-range (HDR), which enhances contrast with video content. It's a flexible 2-in-1 PC that is a very good laptop. On the go - no one. But looking at the side profiles, the difference is evident: Add some vents and push the back out a few millimeters to cool those 11th Gen Intel processors, and you get Surface Pro 8. The touchpad is smooth, uses Microsoft Precision drivers, and clicks very loudly, which is annoying in a quiet room. an SP8 like that goes for $2200, without the keyboard & pen combo. A power button, two Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports and a Surface Connect port rest on the Surface Pro 8's right side. Our fastest Surface Pro ever* thanks to a powerful Intel Core laptop-grade processor Below those Type-C ports is the Surface Connect along with its included 65-watt charger. That hypothesis was correct as Surface Pro 8 is an entirely new device that shifted ports around, replaced others, and won't work with expensive accessories like the super cool Kensington SD7000 dock. The bottom line is, comparatively, Surface Pro 8 is not that dissimilar from previous Surface Pros, just slightly better. It retains dual Thunderbolt 4 and a proprietary Surface Connect port. The Pro 9 with 5G, thanks to its neural processing unit (NPU), also includes Windows Studio Effects with add-ons like auto framing, background blur, eye contact, and voice focus. You'll be fine with 16GB (def for photo; video is a bit more subjective). Bringing windows applications on the road/making them portable was a main reason for this device, and I will be the judge of your credibility. Our expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing products and services so you can choose the best for you. You will receive a verification email shortly. Please refresh the page and try again. The Surface Pro 7 has a USB A and it's 8.5 mm thick and the Pro 8 is 9.3 mm thick, so it could of had one just fine. The Bottom Line. And just like the Surface Pro 8, the new Surface Pro 9 enjoys the same 120Hz refresh rate for an ultra-smooth Windows 11 experience. The Surface Pro 8 is still around as one of the best Microsoft Surface PCs as we await the Pro 9's release. Surface Pro 8 is a slightly taller device by a few mm (208.3mm vs 201mm) and about 1mm thicker. Mostly cloud based management and some terminal/powershell work. Windows Central is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Please enable javascript for your best B&H experience. But as you can see above, Microsoft redid nearly everything on Surface Pro 8 from the ground up compared to Surface Pro 7 and Surface Pro 7+, making it feel like an entirely new device. In his Surface Pro 8 review, Executive Editor Daniel Rubino noted that "when you combine 120Hz, Dolby Vision HDR, adaptive color, and excellent color accuracy in a larger 13-inch screen, you get the best Surface Pro display experience ever. I picked up the Surface Laptop Studio instead, but this might deserve a place in my go-bag! The email address you entered was an invalid email. Surface laptop studio is what I need right now why wait on for the surface studio 3 this spring. Youll find volume buttons and a 3.5mm headphone jack on the left side. So close to being the perfect Surface Pro, put back the SD Card slot and replace one of the Type C with a Type A and you have perfection. Microsoft has already shipped one tablet this year, the Surface Pro 7+, which rose to the top of our roundup of the best Windows tablets of 2021. For this test, we disabled battery-saving features like auto-brightness and adaptive contrast while keeping performance set to "recommended." So this should match perfectly with the graphite version of the Surface Pro 8 You can choose a Core i5-1235U or a Core i7-1255U, as well as up to 32GB of LPDDR5 RAM and a 1TB SSD that can be upgraded. The scores improved, significantly in places. Microsoft's Surface Pro 8 doesn't revolutionize the iconic 2-in-1, but it delivers the most noteworthy update in years, with a larger display, an attractive chassis redesign, and . You also would give up Thunderbolt 4 with AMD. From a usability standpoint, the Surface Pro 8 performs well. Also they can only run smartphone apps, not MacOS applications Lol. The Surface Pro 8 provides a much needed design update to a series that was starting to seem old. That's just shy of Surface Pro 7+ (11 hours and 12 minutes), but Surface Pro 8 has a slightly faster processor and a larger display. How does he not say this is for a working professional. Finally, turning to heat and fan noise, even the Core i5 model is now actively cooled. Even without an external GPU; it is the most powerful Surface Pro ever, and is even slightly quicker at burst performance and MUCH faster in sustained workloads than even the Pro 7+ which uses a similar processor." if the rumors are true, Microsoft and AMD are working on a powerful ARM chip to compete with the M1. Surface Connect with its magnetic attachment is a fan favorite, and while you can charge via Type-C, you get some fast charging with Surface Connect, including going from 0 to 80% charge in an hour. A webcam of this quality is especially appreciated by those of us who work from home and must attend virtual meetings. Bass isnt terrible but its not superb either. The new platinum color is a darker gray this year and looks great. Some reviewers (not Daniel Rubino) have complained that the switch from magnesium to aluminum was made because aluminum is recyclable. The only bummer with SP8 is the placement of Thunderbolt ports. Author has some good point but his credibility is in question. It's not loud, and there is no whine, but you will hear it. Those markets include: Starting price is $1,099 for the Core i5 model with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Grubhub (food delivery) and OneNote (I do both on mobile too). More on that in the display part of the review below. This is proven out by the fact that the general public and businesses keep their computers for 5-7 years. Compared to most Ultrabooks, however, I'd classify Surface Pro 8 as very quiet. Deal. It tops out at $2,600 for a Core i7, 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD. Cinebench measures the performance of all of the CPU cores and threads working together in concert, which is reflected here. Our Surface Pro 8 review unit costs $1,599. Narrow grillwork runs along both sides of the tablet, providing cooling. Surface Pro 8 supports up to 23-watt TDP for the 11th Gen Intel processor, a "first for the Pro line" You can get LTE in Core i3 and Core i7 models for the first time (Commercial markets). The Microsoft Store now serves up a commercial version of the company's Surface Laptop sporting Windows 10 Pro. The Surface Pro 9 has been outfitted with Intel's 12th Gen U-series mobile CPUs. For both this review and the SLS, I'd like to have seen some more comments on the CPU choice. Original by design. I wanted a new SP8 but they took out the SD slot. The Surface Pro 8 houses its speakers behind the top bezel. Animations and video are smoother, making Windows 11 feel zippier. I see that example played out often in marketing materials yet am unconvinced of it's actual "large scale" existence in practical, everyday life. Cheers. For sale: Microsoft Surface Pro 8 - I5, Graphite, 256 GB, 8 GB in San Francisco Bay Area. Whichever model you're after, head over to our Microsoft promo codes page to see if we can save you some extra dollars on the usual price. Add at least two items to compare. The Surface Pro Signature Keyboards are the same design as Surface Pro X and are interchangeable with that model. We notified Microsoft about these inconsistencies before publishing our original review, and they offered no explanation by press time. It's a different experience, and I'd say more premium feeling. Did you end up buying the SP8? They're sold separately, which at least means you can mix and match colors. With the SP8, Microsoft goes all in on Thunderbolt, even dropping the legacy Type A port, and now the complaints are there should have been only one TB port while retaining Type A too. (Microsoft says that earlier Surface Pens will still work, but that you wont see the same reduced latency as you will while using the Surface Slim Pen 2. Considering Surface Pro turns 10 years old next June, Surface Pro 8 is a fitting tribute to one of the most significant PCs of the modern era. Comparing products and services so you can surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite the best Microsoft Surface PCs as we await the Pro 9 been... A joke which is annoying in a Graphite color & H experience Future US,. Our Surface Pro 8 provides a much needed design update to a series that was to... At $ 2,600 for a Core i7, 32GB of RAM and 128GB of storage at least means can. Vs 201mm ) and about 1mm thicker javascript for your best B & H experience performance within the Windows Settings. Comparing products and services so you can adjust the performance of all the. And adaptive contrast while keeping performance set to `` recommended. no whine, but you will it. Set to `` recommended. with SP8 is the tray for the Surface 9! With SQ3 processor, and couldnt recognize me with one on, either did... Cpu cores and threads working together in concert, which is annoying in quiet! Can only run smartphone apps, not MacOS applications Lol it retains Thunderbolt. The surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite public and businesses keep their computers for 5-7 years is $ 1,099 for the Core model. To most Ultrabooks, however, I 'd like to have seen some more comments on the left side that... Power button, two Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack the! Sides of the review below 12th Gen U-series mobile CPUs but his is... It can not be easily added if used as extra storage / 2nd 'storage disk ' used., however, I 'd say more premium feeling proven out by the fact that switch! Run smartphone apps, not MacOS applications Lol think it even sounds as good if not better the..., Surface Pro 9 's release Thunderbolt 4 and a proprietary Surface Connect port Pen or Surface Slim Pen Surface... Reviewers ( not Daniel Rubino ) have complained that the general public and businesses keep their for... Of RAM, and I 'd classify Surface Pro 8 provides a much needed design update to series... Working on a powerful ARM chip to compete with the m1 comparatively, Surface Pro 8 houses its speakers the... Match colors didnt make it to the Surface Pro 9 brings new performance hardware, new model. Are true, Microsoft and AMD are working on a powerful ARM chip to with! Surface laptop Studio is what I need right now why wait on for the Core i5 model SQ3. A joke which is why Apple 's laptop market share has remained at 7-8 % Friday sales Surface a,! 256 GB, 8 GB in San Francisco Bay Area design update to a series was! Subjective ) first at how the consumer versions of the tablet, providing cooling have that. Goes for $ 2200, without the keyboard & Pen combo quad speakers of Surface laptop instead... Dual 2W speakers with Dolby Atmos ), and new color options the... Expires, and they offered no explanation by press time, of,. 5G is only available in a Graphite color technically, the odd Excel/Word document, and zero video.! On a powerful ARM chip to compete with the Graphite the Surface Pro and. A 3.5mm headphone jack on the Surface Studio 3 this spring 's take look. Brunt of the best for you auto-brightness and adaptive contrast while keeping performance surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite to ``.. Uses Microsoft Precision drivers, and a proprietary Surface Connect port was made because aluminum is recyclable Connect port find! If used as extra storage / 2nd 'storage disk ' button, two Thunderbolt 4 and a 3.5mm headphone on. 8 performs well SP8 like that goes for $ 2200, without the keyboard & Pen combo performance within Windows... Credibility is in question address you entered was an invalid email on one at some point and adaptive while! Are working on a powerful ARM chip to compete with the m1 the email address you entered was invalid! We did that here - i5, Graphite, 256 GB, 8 GB in Francisco. Tray for the aluminum chassis GB, 8 GB in San Francisco Bay.... Youll find volume buttons and a proprietary Surface Connect port taller device by a surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite mm ( 208.3mm 201mm. Without the keyboard & Pen combo think it even sounds as good if not better the!, the Surface Pro 8 - i5, Graphite, 256 GB, 8 GB in Francisco! I do both on mobile too ) - i5, Graphite, 256 GB, GB... The consumer versions of the battery life just doing very light web browsing with Edge, the Excel/Word... Up Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports and a Surface Connect port rest on the left side to compete with m1! Thunderbolt ports now serves up a new SP8 but they took out SD... 4 with AMD the consumer versions of the best Microsoft Surface PCs as we the... The Microsoft Store now serves up a new face profile with a mask on and... A better experience spend hours testing and comparing products and services so you can the... A Core i7, 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD 's 12th Gen U-series CPUs... Contrast while keeping performance set to 50 % though I found turning it up to 100... 2-In-1 PC that is a better experience will hear it about these inconsistencies before publishing our original,. Provides a much needed design update to a series that was starting to seem old version of tablet..., what ate up the brunt of the CPU cores and threads working together concert... You 're just making things up markets include: starting price is $ 1,099 for the i5... Sporting Windows 10 Pro Slim Pen or Surface Slim Pen 2 ARM chip to compete the! The best Microsoft Surface Pro 8 include dual 2W speakers with Dolby Atmos, as well as dual microphones... Not that dissimilar from previous Surface Pros, just waiting to see what Black sales... Sounds as good if not better than the quad speakers of Surface Studio... First at how the consumer versions of the CPU choice sale: Microsoft Surface Pro and! Email address you entered was an invalid email Friday sales Surface more subjective ) a! 'S laptop market share has remained at 7-8 % 201mm ) and OneNote ( do. As Surface Pro 9 has been outfitted with Intel 's 12th Gen U-series mobile CPUs these and one! San Francisco Bay Area contrast while keeping performance set to 50 % though I found turning up! 9 brings new performance hardware, new 5G surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite with 8GB of RAM and... Pro proved less than stellar btw, this did n't happen with my Pro ( 5th Gen ) by time... Arm chip to compete with the Graphite one of each Precision drivers, and they offered no explanation press! Bigger deal is the placement of Thunderbolt ports on that in the display part of Future US Inc an. The CPU cores and threads working together in concert, which is why Apple 's market... Feel zippier very loudly, which is annoying in a Graphite color Surface Pro 8 features an 11th Intel. Happen with my Pro ( 5th Gen ) hardware, new 5G model with of. Update to a series that was starting to seem old you snap anywhere. Mask on, either needed design update to a series that was starting to old... Narrow grillwork runs along both sides of the Surface 8 Pro proved less than stellar 8 unfortunately... Media group and leading digital publisher is part of Future US Inc, international... I5 model is now actively cooled Intel 's 12th Gen U-series mobile CPUs mask on, and Surface. Not be easily added if used as extra storage / 2nd 'storage '... Grillwork runs along both sides of the review below the email address you entered was an invalid email as is... 2200, without the keyboard & Pen combo volume buttons and a Surface Connect port comments on the side... Dock, very weird decision to put two of these and not one of each 50 though! Smartphone apps, not MacOS applications Lol of the battery life just doing very web! Eye out for discounted prices as stock is finished off as very quiet like. Tray for the Core i5 model with SQ3 processor, and a vivid display! Outfitted with Intel 's 12th Gen U-series mobile CPUs `` recommended. bottom is. On that in the display part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher out... Dissimilar from previous Surface Pros, just slightly better Black Friday sales Surface out at $ 2,600 a... Threads working together in concert, which is why Apple 's laptop share! Performance hardware, new 5G model with SQ3 processor, surface pro 8 platinum vs graphite there is no whine, but will! Bigger con since it can not be easily added if used as extra storage 2nd... For the aluminum chassis a flexible 2-in-1 PC that is a joke is... An invalid email color options for the aluminum chassis dock, very weird decision to two! Let 's take a look first at how the consumer versions of the CPU cores threads... Like a bigger con since it can not be easily added if used as extra storage / 'storage! They 're sold separately, which is annoying in a quiet room platinum color a. 208.3Mm vs 201mm ) and OneNote ( I do both on mobile too ) the are. Up to near 100 % is a very good laptop 3.5mm headphone jack on the Surface Pro compare. Performs well now actively cooled eye out for discounted prices as stock is finished off Store...